The Blackgun at 1000 yards

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

The Blackgun at 1000 yards

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well it had to be done, so armed with a large pocket full of 62 grain Barnaul (Well it was cheap!) and the Blackgun I headed off to Barton Road today, first job was confirm zero at 200m and this turn I managed to turn the elevation drum the right way as well. Considering it is only running a bowl 'scope it seemed to hold a group quite well so with that bit done I headed out to the 1000 yard point to have a plink. The bowl does not lend itself too well to 1000 yard shooting, especially at an F Class centred 600 yard target but I persevered and took an inspired guess at the elevation and managed to get in the right area but whooo those little 62 grainers are not ideal at 1000 yards.

I managed to get on the target a few times but the ammunition was so bloody inconsistent at this distance that I really was on a hiding to nothing. Plus side was the zonc coated Barnaul fed and extracted impeccably however I did notice it would hold open with a single round still in the magazine from time to time, is this an AR thing? I suspect the ammunition is going to be spot on for 600m and less and if I am to shoot this thing at 1000 yards I need to look for a better load.

A good day though all things considered.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dougan

Re: The Blackgun at 1000 yards

#2 Post by Dougan »

Hi Mate - I've not seen much of the forum recently; when did you get a 'black gun', and what is it?
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

It is an SGC chambered in .223 Wylde so it can be fed both commercial .223 and 5,56X45.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dougan

#4 Post by Dougan »

stand-by...while I find out what on earth that is ( :oops: )
Dougan

#5 Post by Dougan »

So like a straight pull AR15 (?) - Fair play having a go at a 1000 :good:
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

Dougan, do keep up tongueout

:lol:
Dougan

#7 Post by Dougan »

christel wrote:Dougan, do keep up tongueout

:oops: .... :lol:
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#8 Post by kennyc »

you should try the GGG Dave really consistant at longer ranges
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#9 Post by meles meles »

hmmm, looks like Dougan's bath has brain washed him too ! We used to think he was one of those rare black squirrels but it seems it was just a caking of soot and unburnt powder...

Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

kennyc wrote:you should try the GGG Dave really consistant at longer ranges
How far have you shot GGG out to? I only had the Russian stuff with me, the good news is it shoots fine at shorter distances and cycles nicely in my rifle. I struggled with the bowl as I could not see the marker square at 1000 which did not help matters. The only 'scope with a 30mm tube I have that could go on it is a 42X Nightforce, ideally I need something in-between and maybe build some ammunition and try again properly.

I will see if I can pick some GGG up next time I am at Bisley.
/d

Shed Journal