The D2BD Phoennix range report

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

The D2BD Phoennix range report

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

The dare to be different range report.

Now I was rash enough to suggest I would shoot the 4/5/600 F Open with a hunting rifle at this year's Phoenix and yesterday was the day to put hours of planning into practice. Actually yesterday morning was more like grab a rifle and some ammunition and go.

I had wanted to prove to myself that shooting F Open with a light rifle was possible which of course it is, in theory I could have shown up with anything, even a .303 with open sights and shot however I wanted to shoot with a vaguely competitive spirit so my chosen equipment comprised of:

Schultz & Larsen Sporter chambered in 6,5-284
Kahles 12X 'scope
Harris 6" bipod
Rear squeeze bag
Gas mask to carry 70 rounds and some ear defenders
Light mat as it had rained in the morning
Something to write with.

Total weight was at least 25Kg down on my normal F Class rig so walking to the point was pleasant, I noticed some fellow shooters making two trips to the firing point as they could not carry everything in one go. Personally I still felt too cluttered and need to think further about what comes with me. I use A4 plot sheets, I am going to look at A5 which means I can use an A5 holder, open it and keep the score card and plot sheet top to bottom plus a slightly different range bag as putting square things in a round bag is a PITA.

The competition itself - Well nothing to write home about, the shorter bipod made for some impressive hop, I was on target 60 and every shot would leave me looking at target 55, how many MOA of hop is that! Also as expected the barrel warms up quickly which leads to vertical stringing and on occasion horrendous mirage as I was not shooting with a mirage band. One thing I noticed is the stringing development is not linear so it is not a matter of dropping out a couple of clicks every three shots either. Having put several thousand rounds through my AI I know when it is going to misbehave, not so with the S&L so I came out of the 400 with a very poor 52.1.

500 I had a better feeling for what to expect and was starting to get my head around the wind on the day which was squirrelly but doable, looking at my plot sheet with the exception of one poor call/correction which dropped me into a low left 3 I was keeping nicely in the middle, in fact the score of 64.2 does not reflect the shooting, I had so many shots scraping the edge of the 5 ring it was becoming frustrating, again suffering from verticals but I was starting to get on top of them.

600 saw me finish with a 62.3 - I was enjoying myself, I had shot a V, 5,V,V,5 so you can imagine my dismay to see them followed by a 2,3,3 - The Chap I was shooting with, a very pleasant F/TR shooter from Holland stopped and muttered No, No, No when I shot the 2, and it was him that challenged the shot with the RCO, looking at the plot sheet I had been sitting good for wind and all of my shots were in the V and moving up with a slight low trend, the three low scores were low and scattered. My last two shots were in the 4 ring high right so about where I had been before.

All a bit odd in that respect...
P1150125.JPG
So what did I learn? Well I need to improve things, I was asked 3-4 times why I was not using one of my own F/TR bipods and bag riders and I am confident they would have made a significant difference however they would also have made the rifle 'illegal' based on my own class specification. I need to think about the bipod though, I could not load it as I wanted.

It was good to meet up with some F-B'ers at the point, ENS was shooting incredibly well in the F/TR class but was involved with a 'project' so we did not get to talk much, however SteveE and I did manage to catch up between details which was very great, also nice to meet M41B and Dougan with his Father and all the others that came and found me at the firing point. All in all it was a very pleasant afternoon.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dougan

Re: The D2BD Phoennix range report

#2 Post by Dougan »

I was good to watch a bit shooting - The S&L is luverly, but it was jumping somewhat on the small bi-pod! Me and my dad were suprised by the size of the targets - your 3s would have still been 5s on a TR target. Shame we didn't catch the second 2 details...hitting those sized vs in a fresh wind with any rifle set-up is impressive at those distances!
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

Mmmmm....Reading your range report has got got me wondering if I should give it a bash next year - if I can finish building my 257 Roberts AI sometime this year! fingerscrossed
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I will be doing it again come 2013 and it would be good if you could join me for the event. I want to start an informal F/S Class for rifles weighing under 5Kgs including a bipod, no mechanical type rests and a maximum of 12X magnification 'scope. I suspect I was well placed in this years F/S Class :lol:

I still like the idea of walking to the firing point with the lightest of equipment however you need to think about the bipod and I do question using one, a well padded rucksack would probably be every bit as good a platform. One thing I did notice was I could see the first flag 100 yards down at the same time as the target which was handy although I am not sure how much it helps when the target looks like the sort of thing you use for an air rifle...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#5 Post by Sandgroper »

I will aim the rest of my build around your specs - it'll give me some focus ;)

If worse comes to worse and Phoenix 2013 is a no-go we can always arrange a postal comp as Cawdor is good for 600m.

Time to check the the weight of the stock I want for it, methinks!
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Build it as you want it and in your heart you will know if it is within the spirit of the class or not :clap:
/d

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

ENS getting ready...Century 500, Bisley Phoenix F-class 2012.
Attachments
ens.jpg
Sim G

#8 Post by Sim G »

I'm somewhat tickled by this!

I've never shot F class in my life! The problem is for me it seems to develop more into an arms race as happened with IPSC.... I want to be able to shoot with what I drag out of the cabinet.

I'm up for this next year! RPA in 7mm-08, off a Harris Bi-pod or my Condor rucksack......

"Shed Practical F-Class".

C'mon Grant, you've got a year to sort it.......
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

SimG, come on in! I am very much against the arms race approach hence my desire to shoot with a Sporter and for me the important parts were shooting a light weight rifle with a low magnification 'scope off a normal bipod.

Biggest problem was the rifle hop and I am dealing with that right now......
/d

Shed Journal
Sim G

#10 Post by Sim G »

Right, I'm in!

Can we go with an "honour system" that I keep my scope at 12x, as opposed to having to buy another......
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!