Sat 12th May Bisley

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Dangermouse

Sat 12th May Bisley

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

I managed to get a day ticket (from Wife) to visit Bisley today.

Shot 900 and 100 yards AM and Gallery PM.

At 900 yards the wind was very difficult to read, certainly 2 minutes either side of the bull. Using my 32" barrel and 185 Berger ammunition I was expecting much better. I swapped for some low powered 155 SMK's that I made up for under 600 yard work, They were no better but interestingly no worse.
At 1000 yards the wind was initially easier to read but it quickly turned and caught us out. This time giving us up to 3 minutes either side of the bull. Again I tried both types of ammunition with little difference.
The annoying thing for me was that the heavy mirage appeared to bear no relation to what the wind was doing and I found that I was unable to rely on either as an indicator. At times like this I have a real respect for those that can read the conditions.
As an aside, I see no gain from the expensive 185 Berger's over the cheaper 155 SMK's - old style 155's not the new type. Once the 185's are used up i will look at the market again.

I had my SGC 9mm on the gallery range in the PM and it was a favourite of everyone who had a go. You certainly have to double your likely ammunition count when taking it to the range, some for you and some for everyone else. To be honest I was happy to let everyone shoot it, a bit like a proud father. It needs a few hundred rounds through it to start loosening things up and today had another 200 down the tube.
I played with the scope, 45 degree open sites and open sites on the flat top. All good fun but I can see myself relying on the scope more often than not.
Out of the 200 rounds, 9 failed to feed, no rhyme nor reason as far as I could tell. I am confident that it is getting better and look forward to getting some after market mags to see how they preform.

Best of all was it was actually sunny today, no rain and no laying in puddles party2

Was anyone else shooting long range and how did you find the wind?

DM
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Sat 12th May Bisley

#2 Post by bnz41 »

Yes it was a nice day we were on s/s 100 all day still very muddy/flooded around the back of the fire point, (slowly getting sorted) and the road to the range wow had a moan in the office about that, ok if you have a 4x4 (4to6" deep pot holes).
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Loads of running around and phone calls and no shooting for me which is a pity as the weather has been good all day.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

Disappointed to hear that SS is still being worked on. I guess all the rain we have been having recently will not have made things any better. Looks like I will not be going to the Phoenix this year due to a new shift pattern, perhaps a small mercy if it means avoiding that lot.

DM
M41B

#5 Post by M41B »

Shot with Dangermouse on 900/1000 this morning, I too found the wind really tricky, was going from one side to the other and as DM said, the flags didnt appaear to have moved. I suppose it didnt help that when I got home and cleaned my TRG I found the front sight had worked foward which meant the moderator wasnt fully tightned (thats my excuse anyway !!!) sign01

Had a go on DM's 9mm Lever release, I see what he means about the amount of ammo you need, VERY GOOD fun...... and judging by the number of empties on the floor I wasnt the only one. :goodjob:

Was certainly drier than the last time I was there.

Look foward to next time........
I enjoy my shooting but usually get a better group with the empty cases !!!!
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by 1066 »

I also passed a pleasant day at Bisley. Morning on SS at 200 and PM on the benches at 100. My main focus of the day was to try and tighten up the groups from my 6.5x284 by varying the seating depth. There was no real breakthrough I'm sorry to say.

I have a load that shoots fairly well (142smk and 51.3 4831sc). I loaded up 50 rounds, all out to the lands and shot a string of 5 shot groups and seating the bullet 10 thou deeper every group with my Lee hand press and Redding micrometer die.

Smallest group came in at a not very impressive .43 with a 20 thou jump and the largest group was .88 with 60 thou jump.

So, a bit of a disapointing day really but then if it was easy it would'nt be so much fun would it.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well H4831SC is about the same an N560 which I use. 53 grains .0012" of the lands with 139 Scenar's - It shoots OK.

EDIT - I can pop some 139's in the post if you want to try them.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Watcher

#8 Post by Watcher »

I was on Stickledown yesterday (900 and 1,000). We had the interesting experience of helicopters landing behind the butts. Turned out it was Police and Air Ambulance attending an accident on the Red Road. Not actually in the danger area but it looked it from the 1,000 yard point. Stopped the shooting at 4:30 and we binned it from there.

Had a great shoot at 900 but had an absolute sod at 1,000. May be something to do with the fact that the RG I was using ran out of steam out of my 26" barrel. When we practiced on Thursday marker reported three V Bulls ...but bullets all sideways!
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#9 Post by 1066 »

ovenpaa wrote:EDIT - I can pop some 139's in the post if you want to try them.
Thats a very generous offer Dave - I'd appreciate a few to give them a try. sign92
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

You will need to remind me (PM) your address again please :oops:
/d

Shed Journal