Calibrating a suspect Chrono

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Calibrating a suspect Chrono

#1 Post by 20series »

Is there a way of getting a chrono calibrated??

Whilst trying my new toy today I was chronoing the loads, someone commented they thought it was probably reading high due to the speeds. I was getting 2580fps from my 210 SMKs with 42.5 gns Vit 140

One of the guys put a round from his through it which read about 100fps quicker than he reckoned it should be :(

Any (polite :lol: ) suggestions

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Calibrating a suspect Chrono

#2 Post by Christel »

Have you not got the manual?

I am fairly certain that we can calibrate ours, using the manual that we very likely cannot find.

Also, I could be way wrong here but that speed sounds about right for that load.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

What make of Chrono is it? Light makes a difference, did you have the screens fitted and have it at least ten feet out? Also it needs to be stable.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#4 Post by 20series »

It's an F1 chrony, I've found the instructions and there is nothing in there about calibration

Yes I had the screens on, but the light was fairly dull today,

however now thinking about it ;) It may have been a bit close. I used to shoot the old set up with the moderator on at about 8 feet and obviously this is different. It's going to be down to operator error by the sound of it :oops: :oops: .

cheers for the help

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

Ovenpaa says they can't fly that fast with that weight. Ignore me.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Actually I thought Christel said 2850 not 2580. Still 2580 seems rather optimistic by a good 200fps for 42.5 grains if N140.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dta europe

#7 Post by dta europe »

Hi Alan, after thinking about it, it may well have been too close.

I am more than happy to bring the 35p and we can shoot through them both in series and see what results we get.

regards

Ewen
Robin128

#8 Post by Robin128 »

Ewen,

Welcome to the forum.

What guns do you like to shoot?

:D

Rob
dta europe

#9 Post by dta europe »

Hi Rob,

Sorry just joined recently today and have not posted an introduction yet.

My preference is for long distance rifles generally in the Tacticool variety. I have gone through lots from customs to Accuracy Internationals and an now shooting DTA SRS's which I liked so much I now import and distribute them ;-)

I also am a keen game shotgun shooter, practical shotgun shooter and pretty much anything else that goes bang.

regards

Ewen
20series
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by 20series »

Rob

He has some very nice toys to play with :D
dta europe wrote:Hi Alan, after thinking about it, it may well have been too close.

I am more than happy to bring the 35p and we can shoot through them both in series and see what results we get.

regards

Ewen
Ewen

I might take you up on the offer, I've picked some Vit N550 today so I'm going to chuck some loads together and see what happens, I think I'll try my Chrony again but make sure it's far enough away this time.

Alan