Cast Boolits for sale

Anything shooting related for sale, the management cannot accept any responsibility for the saleability of items in this section so take care please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All items for sale must have a fixed price please. No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed
No external sale links.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Cast Boolits for sale

#1 Post by dodgyrog »

Two new moulds now received and in production:

1/ 115gr RNFP 30 cal plinker - a very accurate little boolit - £6 per 100

2/ 145gr spitzer FP for 6,5mm guns (particularly the Swede Mauser) - another very accurate boolit £12 per 100 gas checked or £6 per 100 without gas check.

Delivery possible and these will be available at the Phoenix shoot at Bisley
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Flanker

Re: Cast Boolits for sale

#2 Post by Flanker »

Do you do a 303 boolit Rog? I've just bought one and a load of brass,and some dies etc.
dodgyrog

#3 Post by dodgyrog »

PM sent
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

Hmmm, we have a Swedish Carl Gustaf in the Sett Armoury that fires 6.5x55. At the moment we fire military surplus canned bangs at £48 / 100 but they are becoming harder to track down, and PP 6.5 x 55 is closer to £65 / 100. In the longer term we're thinking about home brewing our canned bangs. Other than price, do these cast boolits have any advantages / disadvantages over shop bought, full metal jacket bullets?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
dodgyrog

#5 Post by dodgyrog »

I don't see the point in paying for jacketed bullets when cast do it it so well at a much lower cost. More than that you can taylor the ammo to the rifle rather than build a rifle around a particular round.
Do it right and a 1 MOA accuracy is easily possible.
meles meles

#6 Post by meles meles »

Hmm, I think we need to be educated on these cast bullets...

I assume they cause less wear on the barrel, lead being softer than copper?

What about the nose shape? It doesn't look to be so aerodynamic as a shop bought FMJ ?

Are they more prone to damage?

Does the rifling cut them up more?
Badger
Badger Korporashun

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Do a search of the forum for "cast boolits" a lot of this ground has been covered already, I'd also have a look in the library and read Ed Harris's article therein.

Cast boolits generally do better than jacketed specially in military rifles as they can be sized and fitted to the bore.

The 6.5 Swedish Mauser is the most difficult rifle to get to shoot cast boolits well due to its fast twist at jacketed velocities, however up to and around velocities of 1800fps with cast (good enough for target work out to 600 yrds) it is an absolute tack driver.

This boolit has been designed for military throats in Swedes, Arisakas, Carcano's and the like. However to get the best from cast in any specific rifle then a good chamber cast is essential so that you know exactly what boolit you will need. Ther isa very good article on this in the library.

In shooting cast and any other type of bullet, then boolit fit is king for accuracy and for cast boolits then getting the boolit to fit the rifles throat is the way to go.

To be honest if cast boolits cost more than condom ones then I'd still use them for the better results they give, mind you I mix my own alloys, have moulds made to fit my rifles then cast, size, lube and seat my boolits for my specific application. I see that as extension to the pastime. Lets face it the boolit/bullet is the most important element of the load so why not be in full control of that rather than going for mass produced item that has to fit every rifle near enough.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Flanker

#8 Post by Flanker »

dromia wrote:
To be honest if cast boolits cost more than condom ones then I'd still use them for the better results they give, mind you I mix my own alloys, have moulds made to fit my rifles then cast, size, lube and seat my boolits for my specific application. I see that as extension to the pastime. Lets face it the boolit/bullet is the most important element of the load so why not be in full control of that rather than going for mass produced item that has to fit every rifle near enough.
I'm intrigued - very!
John25

#9 Post by John25 »

Rog,

Do you test them for hardness?

If so, what do they come out at?
meles meles

#10 Post by meles meles »

John25 wrote: If so, what do they come out at?

At the muzzle, I hope...
Badger
Badger Korporashun