Cawdor 08/04/12

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Cawdor 08/04/12

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

Spent the morning and early afternoon at Cawdor taking part in Strathpeffer Rifle and Pistol Club) Service Rifle comp. I thought it would be the perfect outing for the Steyr M95.

Cawdor from the 200m point - Forum member Blackisler to the left.
DSCF0008.JPG
While I went to shoot the comp, I was mainly going to meet MrD (great to meet another Forum member in the flesh) and to catch up with the club happenings.
Shooting the Steyr was absolute blast - literally - at the 300m point I had an audience watching the muzzle blast. Bulgarian surplus ammo -1938 designed to stop enemies with a combination of bullet, concussion wave and muzzle blast! :lol: One concerned soul wondered if I had any eyebrows left! :shock:
The general consensus seemed to be that I was mad. :G

I, on the other hand, really enjoyed the little beast. :shakeshout:
The recoil is firm but manageable (I'll let MrD describe his thoughts on the M95), the action is nice and slick. The sights aren't the best, but I haven't shot ironsights in such a long time that the fault probably lies with me rather than the rifle itself. Verdict - more practice required.

As to the comp itself - I don't like I troubled the scorers too much - especially at 300m. I just could not get a good sight picture and most of my shots were low. No scores as yet as I had to leave early, due to my son's ice skating finishing early.

MrD with his 1915 SMLE
DSCF0014.JPG
MrD kindly let me shoot his SMLE 8-) and I repaid him letting him shoot the M95!. This was the first time I had actually shot a .303 and was very impressed the rifle and the round. The two rifles are like chalk and cheese in comparison with each other, but I'll be keeping the Steyr!

Me shooting MrD's SMLE :good:
DSCF0016.JPG
All in all a really good day, the one downside is that my tendon in my left ankle popped out again, even though I was wearing my AFO's ( **** uneven ground). It might just have to be something I have to get used to, even so still great fun! :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
AL8

Re: Cawdor 08/04/12

#2 Post by AL8 »

looked like a fun day
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

A lovely little range as well. Is that the RCO sitting down?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Andy632

#4 Post by Andy632 »

Bugger! :cry: This work thing really gets in the way of my shooting.

Oh well, there's always another day I suppose.

:flag6:
Andy632

#5 Post by Andy632 »

ovenpaa wrote:A lovely little range as well. Is that the RCO sitting down?

Why, are they not supposed to? They normally wear a Yellow tabard but I think it's maybe shrunk in the wash and no longer fits!
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

RCO's can sit down if they wish however I prefer to stay on my feet and move around, it is important to look behind as well as in front and down the firing line and sitting down means you might just miss something.

Having said that being an RCO for a whole day can be tiring so we split RCO duties between two people on the day, it also means the RCO gets to shoot something.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Andy632

#7 Post by Andy632 »

ovenpaa wrote:RCO's can sit down if they wish however I prefer to stay on my feet and move around, it is important to look behind as well as in front and down the firing line and sitting down means you might just miss something.

Having said that being an RCO for a whole day can be tiring so we split RCO duties between two people on the day, it also means the RCO gets to shoot something.

It's only a little bitty 3- lane range and we're quite fortunate with the number of RCO's we have; they usually all get a chance to shoot.

At least it looked like a nice dry day with no snow!
Andy632

#8 Post by Andy632 »

Sandgroper wrote:Spent the morning and early afternoon at Cawdor taking part in Strathpeffer Rifle and Pistol Club) Service Rifle comp. I thought it would be the perfect outing for the Steyr M95.

While I went to shoot the comp, I was mainly going to meet MrD (great to meet another Forum member in the flesh) and to catch up with the club happenings.

DSCF0016.JPG
All in all a really good day, the one downside is that my tendon in my left ankle popped out again, even though I was wearing my AFO's ( **** uneven ground). It might just have to be something I have to get used to, even so still great fun! :good:

Somehow I was under the impression that you were Cack-handed????? Am I wrong again?
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#9 Post by Sandgroper »

It turned out to be a very good day weather wise (at least while I was there), overcast but no rain and a pleasant temperature as well.

There was a slight breeze from right to left, but at Cawdor that can be deceiving - at least for me! :oops: At 300m the breeze was at the firing point (someone shooting BP) but at the butts the flags were still.

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by Sandgroper »

Andy632 wrote:
Sandgroper wrote:Spent the morning and early afternoon at Cawdor taking part in Strathpeffer Rifle and Pistol Club) Service Rifle comp. I thought it would be the perfect outing for the Steyr M95.

DSCF0016.JPG

Somehow I was under the impression that you were Cack-handed????? Am I wrong again?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, not really, but a bit of both! :G My master eye is my left eye and I found with the POSP scope on the Saiga (AK) eye relief was better when I shot it left handed. BTW I spent five years shooting the Steyr AUG left handed as well!

I am sorely tempted to get a left handed BA rifle just for the hell of it, not to mention the confusion it would cause! :twisted: