Badger goes banging

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

Badger goes banging

#1 Post by meles meles »

Well, we were up scraping the ice off the badgermobile at dark o'clock this morning and on the road to the range long afore many oomans were about. By 0800 the range was signed for and the targets were up at the 300m point, giving us plenty of time for the long wait until 09:00 when we are allowed to begin shooting. It's an army range you see, and so we have to play by army rules. If it were run by us badgers we wouldn't have to turn up and take possession until 08:45, but army ranges don't run on common sense. Sign at 8, fire at 9.

At 0900 the butts flag was lowered and the first volley rang out, stirring the sand a little and warming up the barrels. Most of the oomans present had Remington clones in AICS stocks, with a fair scattering of DSRs and a few custom bits of gucci kit. V bulls began to appear all over the shop...

Being a pernickety sort of mustelid, we'd opted to take two older rifles, a 1908 Carl Gustaf Long Rifle in 6.5x55 Swedish and an AIA Enfield jungle carbine in 7.62x39. The Enfield was topped off with a nice Russian 8x42 POSP scope ballistically matched to the 7.62x39 round and the Carl Gustaf we shoot over its entirely adequate open sights. Both rifles had been stripped from their stocks for drying and cleaning last time they were used (it bucketed down) and so needed re-zeroing. The Carl Gustaf was quickly back on tune, grouping into the 3 ring from a prone unsupported position without a sling - a result quite acceptable for a badger over open sights. It's better than minute of farmer and that's all that matters.

The AIA Enfield took a little longer to work up - again, prone unsupported at 300 m. The sights started out quite a way off and given that the dials are labelled in Cyrillic script it can be quite a test of our tiny brain to walk the holes to where we need them. However, it was a nice warm morning, the larks were singing and the sun was on our back so all in all quite an enjoyabubble morning.

How did your shoots go today oomans? Release many canned bangs back into the wild ?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Ovenpaa

Re: Badger goes banging

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Sounds like a good time so where are the pictures?

I spent a few hours this in the Shed this morning making swarf and talking to 20Series and Whiteboy, no shooting but a productive and relaxing morning.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

Pictures yes please! fingerscrossed I'm especially curious to see how the POSP is mounted to your AIA.

I found the POSP quite easy to use (when I had my Saiga) once I realised that you adjust into the error - unlike western scopes. :o
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
BestDrugDoc
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Felton and District Rifle Club

#4 Post by BestDrugDoc »

Well, I was out on Saturday at sensible o clock with the Marlin 1894 with open sights.

It seems to like shooting factory .357 alot better than factory .38.

Very therapeutic though - I really like these rifles.

I have been trying to get ghost ring sights for it - unfortunately the front sight is the older dovetail fit and I cant seem to find appropriate an appropriate ghost ring foresight for it - does anyone have any suggestions?

bigteeth
meles meles

#5 Post by meles meles »

Sandgroper wrote:Pictures yes please! fingerscrossed I'm especially curious to see how the POSP is mounted to your AIA.

I found the POSP quite easy to use (when I had my Saiga) once I realised that you adjust into the error - unlike western scopes. :o

The POSP 8x42 has an integral Weaver mount and sits on a rail that spans the ejection port. It's a little higher than I'd like but that needs to be the case in order to allow rounds to eject cleanly. Perhaps a raised cheekpiece is in order. Maybe a 75 round AKM drum magazine too...

Yes, adjusting for error can be quite a problem at first - especially if you are small brained kreecher like us. There's a nice range of POSP scopes available at http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes.html
Badger
Badger Korporashun

Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#6 Post by Sandgroper »

Weaver mount - mystery solved. I got my POSP from http://kalinkaoptics.com/
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

meles meles did you fit the mount yourself?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles

#8 Post by meles meles »

No, we had a kreecher with thumbs do that.

The scope came with an integral Weaver mount, and the rifle came with a Weaver rail already fitted.
Badger
Badger Korporashun