New Barrel - fire forming req?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Dangermouse

New Barrel - fire forming req?

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

As previously mentioned, Mik Mak has re barrelled my Remington 700 with a 32" Border Barrel 5R job.

I believe that I am going to have to re size all my brass, ready to be fire formed in the new chamber.

Before I waste the best part of the day in the freezing attic, do I have to, or will I only know once I try to load a round with the cases as they currently are?

DM
Ovenpaa

Re: New Barrel - fire forming req?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would say the only way to really tell is by chambering a round fired from your 700 barrel, as the new one is for F/TR it has to be a 'standard' chamber but Mik's reamer could well be to a more precise grind than those used by Remington who may well be middle/upper end of SAAMI specification.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

Think I will wait and see, no point waisting time,

DM
The Gun Pimp

#4 Post by The Gun Pimp »

DM

Firstly, I would strongly recommend starting off with new (Lapua) brass in your new barrel.

But, if you want to run it in with your old 308 brass, full-length size it an see if it chambers OK - if it does - shoot it.

I've found that running a fairly stiff load - as most of us do in F/TR - brass should be binned after about 5 or 6 firngs for best results.

No need to fireform new 308 brass in a 308 chamber - just shoot it - I shot brand new brass in the Europeans.

Cheers
Vince
Dangermouse

#5 Post by Dangermouse »

Is there a good supply of Lapua Brass?

So far John @ HPS has been looking after my re loading needs. As a regular attender at Bisley I find him a good reliable source of Parts and info.
Just had a look at his web site and see that he is not listing .308 Lapua brass,

I will be putting in an order to Sinclair's (I promise), would it be cheaper to get it from over there?

DM
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

DM have you thought about the new small primer LAP .308's?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#7 Post by Dangermouse »

I have read about the small primer brass but have also read that it was an idea that the original guys have now dropped and returned to large primers.

I would be interested to hear if Vince or Laurie are using / tried them.

DM
lapua338

#8 Post by lapua338 »

DM, I don't know what people on this forum are paying for LAPUA brass these days or what is considered a reasonable price? Last time I purchased 0.308 brass I paid 47.00 EUR from http://www.shooting-supplies.eu/index.php. Which at the time was around £41.00 per hundred.

I have also purchased Redding 7.5x55 Swiss dies from their webshop. Shipping is pretty quick (usually around 3-4 days in Europe) and there's free shipping up to 150 EUR.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Going price around our parts seems to be GBP50, give or take, I have not looked at http://www.shooting-supplies.eu in ages so thank you for posting the link and reminding me. It looks like you have to spend over 200€ to get the free shipping to the UK though.

Christel was talking to one dealer about a 10% discount for forum members however they are not the cheapest and I am not sure if they will post.

Christel?
/d

Shed Journal
The Gun Pimp

#10 Post by The Gun Pimp »

I think Lapua 308 is about £50 a 100 box. Hannam's Reloading always have it in stock. Foxy had a ton of it at Bisley for the Europeans.

The small primer puts a bit more 'meat' in the head area which helps to stop the pockets expanding and thus makes your brass last a bit longer. It's significantly dearer though - so 'swings & roundabouts'.

I've not tried the Lapua version but I tried some of the Remington stuff way back in the mid-nineties.

Remember - nothing shoots like new brass - change it as often as you can afford to.

Cheers
Vince