Is Yours Back-bored?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Robin128

Is Yours Back-bored?

#1 Post by Robin128 »

For a normal 12-bore barrel, the inside diameter or bore would measure 18.4mm. Whereas a back-bored or over-bored barrel is bigger at 18.7mm and as much as 19.1mm (11 bore) and 19.7mm (10 bore).

So what's the point?

:-P
FarmerSim

Re: Is Yours Back-bored?

#2 Post by FarmerSim »

Well then, the best explanation I've seen on this is here:-

http://www.chuckhawks.com/backboring_does_not_work.htm

And as you'll see from the title, the man Hawks appears less than impressed !

Given that my medical history creates some issues with recoil, to the extent that the FLD were very concerned, I investigated this a bit, and the article above seems a good summary of all other opinions I found, and also of my own experience too. :ugeek:

ATB

Sim
FarmerSim

#3 Post by FarmerSim »

Sorry, I "forgot" to answer the main question !!! :)

My Mossberg 930 is not "Overbored" - the Mossy term for Backboring !!

Very little felt recoil with ordinary loads - not keen on 52g BB's though!

ATB

Sim
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Backboring seemed to be very fashionable on the middle range shotguns a few years ago, I always put it down to a fad at the time, a bit like the choke 'Arms war'
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

Interesting report from Randy Wakeman, FarmerSim and I've grabbed the chart for future ref. ;)

An article in this month's edition of Clay Shooting by Nick Wilson, reports that from his empirical research and testing, back boring produces less than a 2% increase in velocity.

BTW I just checked the barrel markings on my Beretta White Onyx and my Browning Ultra XTR and note the former is marked 18.4 wheras the latter is marked 18.7... but I couldn't be asked to strip my Xtrema2. :grin:

:grin:
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

ovenpaa wrote:Backboring seemed to be very fashionable on the middle range shotguns a few years ago, I always put it down to a fad at the time, a bit like the choke 'Arms war'
You're probably right ovenpaa... the latest fad is long barrels on trap guns for sporting...it works for me ...but I digress. O:-)
Robin128

#7 Post by Robin128 »

FarmerSim wrote:Sorry, I "forgot" to answer the main question !!! :)

My Mossberg 930 is not "Overbored" - the Mossy term for Backboring !!

Very little felt recoil with ordinary loads - not keen on 52g BB's though!

ATB

Sim
I have to have Gracoils, Kickoffs, moderators or holy recoil pads on my shotguns and rifles...spine isn't what it used to be, now I've pushed 60 and spent my life pushing a pen and expediting extreme DIY...like council size patio paving laying.

:G

Edit...7.5 28 gms plastic wad are all I use these days on clays.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Plastic? I swapped to fibre many years ago as my local grounds stipulated them so they are all i shoot these days.

Barrels, well 30" was always enough for me but some I know are at 31" and even 32" for sporting clays, along with 6"+ long chokes that they swap from stand to stand and even different loads for different birds. Great but they are all good B Shooters at best and showing no real sign of improving. I prefer to just get out and have fun :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#9 Post by Robin128 »

Never change chokes...full and x-full trap...barrel with chokes are 32 3/4".

Some shoots I have been on insist on fibre because there are animals about, but Treetops and Wales 2000 sell plastic wad...dedicated ranges 6 days a week.

:)
FarmerSim

#10 Post by FarmerSim »

I prefer to use fibre, and for anyone who shoots here to use fibre too, as I don't want to be trying the Heimlich maneuver on little lambs (!). :-P

Tend to stick to 28's myself or 24's.... HAve you tried the "Evoshield" ? I have one but I'm not sure yet - I guess it'll make more difference to the larger loads, but as I'm not keen on them anyway, then....

I was also told that fibre reduce recoil marginally (?) - but if may have snake oil salesman patter....

I have a rare ( 6 of us in the UK!!! ) form of MD, so everything seems to equally affected! :mrgreen:

Haven't changed the choke in the Mossy since I bought it!!

Rob:- Glad Chuck Hawks was some use

ATB

Sim