Vitavouri N555

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1

Vitavouri N555

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Had a night mare trying to re load 6.5 Creedmoor with this powder. Using a RCBS powder measure could not get a consistant load to drop. Then it dumpted a load of powder on my bench. Switched to a different make of powder measure was OK for the first 5 loadings then it bridged and dumpted a load more on my desktop. I guess I have lost a quarter of my £90 tub. I can not afford to use this powder if it carries on like this. How are you Guys using it.
ukrifleman
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Vitavouri N555

#2 Post by ukrifleman »

I don't use Vihtavuori powders, but have had similar problems with other powders.
I lay a sheet of paper kitchen role under the measure and you can away place a shallow dish under as well to collect any spillage.
What you describe is why I never trust any powder measure to throw consistent charges all the time.
I decant all my charges from the measure into my beam scale prior to charging the case. This slows things down a bit I grant you, but at least I can be confident that every charge is correct.
ukrifleman
The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

I'm halfway through my first tub - shoots sub half MOA in my 260 Rem - but I agree with Alpha - it does tend to 'bridge' if you try and dump it into the powder funnel too quickly. Meters fine in an RCBS Chargemaster though.
billgatese30
Home club or Range: Bishop Auckland & District Gun Club...and anywhere that will have me.

#4 Post by billgatese30 »

I've a tub to try for my 6.5x55. I'll let you know how it goes through my Lee, although I tend to throw low and trickle the remaining grain or so.
Chris
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

I'm on my 3rd or 4th tub of N555... (I wish my LGS did more that the 1lb tubs..!!)

So far, I haven't had a problem with it loading for my 6.5x55. I use a Hornady Autocharge to measure out 0.1gn below what I need, then transfer to a beam scale and trickle up to my load.
Very impressed with it, its letting me put them in the middle at 1000 yards from my Browning X Bolt
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#6 Post by mag41uk »

I am on my 2nd 3.6kg tub. Works fine in my gen 6 and targetmaster trickler.
Graham M
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#7 Post by Graham M »

I have just been given two 1k tubs of Vit powder, N133 and N160
I have found a load on the Vit site for 130grn TSX for my .308 using the N133 powder but wondered if the same load can be used for TTSX; I can't see why it can't but I have never loaded for Barnes brass bullets before.
As has been pointed out above, I throw a charge and then weight it and trickle in a couple or more kernels to make up the exact weight.

Is modern Vihtavuori the same as the older stuff or should I just pass on this and buy more modern stuff.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
PeterN
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#8 Post by PeterN »

I have only ever used one powder measure over the past 35+ years, a Hornady one. It works OK but I never use a charge straight from the measure, I weigh each one. I am not familiar with the RCBS measure so I don't know how you get powder to spill out of it. I have never had any powder spill from the Hornady measure. The only way you could get the Hornady to spill powder is dumping a charge without a container underneath to catch it.
Regards
Peter.