Eye dominance

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

What is your eye dominance vs handedness?

Right eyed + Right handed
54%
Left eyed + Right handed
27%
Right eyed + Left handed
11%
Left eyed + Left handed
8%

Total votes: 37

Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Eye dominance

#1 Post by Daryll »

I had my annual eye test yesterday and the subject of shooting came up.

I mentioned that I was left dominant eyed but right handed, (so theoretically should shoot left handed).

The Optician said that this was very unusual, normally eye dominance matches handedness.

I said that I've heard a lot of shooters are the same as me, with opposite eye/handedness.. so whats the verdict..?

Are shooter's brains wired differently..?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Eye dominance

#2 Post by dromia »

None of the above.

I am right eye dominant and shoot long guns left handed and pistols right handed.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

Thats just called being awkward.. :D

But I do something similar... shoot rifles using my right eye, pistols with my left eye, both right handed...

But to clarify the poll, where I ask about handedness, I mean generally (i.e. which hand do you write with), not which hand do you hold a fiream with..
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Ambidextrous.

Also my eye dominance has changed back and forth over the years.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
knewmans

#5 Post by knewmans »

My daughter is the same. She's dyslexic. Very common amongst dyslexics to have the dominant eye contralateral to the dominant hand.

Some people don't have a dominant eye
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

I am right eye dominant and shoot right handed which is just as well because I don't have very good vision in my left eye and I certainly would not be able to shoot if I had to use my left eye.
FredB
Home club or Range: stourport

#7 Post by FredB »

In the pistol shooting days, it was often required that you changed hands. I shot right hand / right eye and left hand / left eye. For the last 25 years I have shot standing rifle, right handed / right eye. Now, my right eye has deteriorated to the point where I can hardly see the front sight, but my left eye is perfect. I have been trying left hand shooting but last week i got the opticions to make me up some glasses which focus on items one metre away. This seems to be the solution.
Fred
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

I am right handed and have central vision. Chatting to one of the coaches at my clay club, he suggested that eye dominance can change for men during stressful periods of their lives. And for women it can change throughout their monthly cycle (so also a stressful period?....) lol Sorry couldn't help that one. But jokes aside, it goes to show it is not as clear cut as eye dominance being the same as handedness.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#9 Post by channel12 »

I am right handed but I was born with impaired vision in my right eye. The damage was caused at birth and cannot be corrected. I have had laser surgery which didn't improve the vision but meant my lens was simpler.

So not so much a question of eye dominance, more a question of my right eye vision not good enough for shooting.
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

Pippin89 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:06 am I am right handed and have central vision.
Same here, supposedly makes for good pilots for some reason but its a bugger for shooting which is why i prefer to shoot everything with a red dot on now so both eyes can be open and it doesn't really matter.

When i'm shooting clays i just put a square of tap on the left lens of my glasses to keep focus in the right eye.
DVC