My Mauser K98 RC

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

falco67

My Mauser K98 RC

#1 Post by falco67 »

Some while ago I uploaded photos of my K98 to the K98 Forum on the Gunboard's Forum for opinions on whether it was run of the mill or a little bit unusual. The stock is numbered to the receiver (inside, under the barrel), the others parts are random numbers.

The problem I have is that comments were made as to the sharpness of the "X" on the receiver. One comment "I believe we have seen that x before" left me wondering if there was something amiss with the rifle. I have asked for clarification but no more replies have been forthcoming. I am a little concerned so I would like to ask for opinions here. What do you think.
Attachments
collagemauser k98.jpg
collageknox.jpg
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: My Mauser K98 RC

#2 Post by GeeRam »

I can see why, it's certainly not the usual 'X' seen on RC K98's.

The stock finish does look like a typical Russian shellac finish, but that X does look odd.

The ones I've seen most look like this.

However, it doesn't mean its not a RC, especially given the stock finish.

The best source of K98 info is here, the guys that have written the definitive source books on the K98 post here.

http://www.k98kforum.com/forumdisplay.p ... azi-Period

Nice to have another K98 owner on here.....there doesn't seem to be many of us :good:

Quite rare one you have as well, being an early date, and a Berlin-Lubecker Machinenfabriken manufactured one :good:
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

The shellac finish on the stock and the serial number stamped on the left side of the butt point and the mix of serial numbers point to a RC but that Latin X doesn't look right as it isn't a Cyrillic X......if you know what I mean.

Is the serial number on the bolt sleeve electro-pencilled?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
falco67

#4 Post by falco67 »

Thanks for the replies.

GeeRam, thanks for the pointer to the other Forum, I've had a quick visit, and to my surprise, I'm already a member, completely forgotten! So I can try there for an answer.

snayperskaya, yes the bolt is electro-pencilled.

some more photo's
Attachments
collage.jpg
collagebarrel.jpg
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

The style of the electro-pencilled serial number on the mag floorplate is virtually identical to the style found on refurbed forced matched Mosin floorplates and combined with the electro-pencilled number on the bolt sleeve, the stock finish and the serial number stamped on the left of the butt definitely mark it as a RC.

Not all RC K98's have the famed "X" and i wonder if it is a possibility that a previous owner or dealer has heard that RC K98's should have a "X" and taken it upon themselves to stamp it with whatever X stamp they had to hand, little realising the one they used is the wrong style.

As a sidenote not all Soviet stocks, particularly post-war refurbs, have a shellac finish.A lot of refurbs, particularly Mosin's and SKS's , have a dark brown finish that is often quite thickly applied and is actually a lacquer/varnish that the Russians called VK-1.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
GeeRam

#6 Post by GeeRam »

snayperskaya wrote: Not all RC K98's have the famed "X" and i wonder if it is a possibility that a previous owner or dealer has heard that RC K98's should have a "X" and taken it upon themselves to stamp it with whatever X stamp they had to hand, little realising the one they used is the wrong style.
That thought occurred to me as well, but I've just blown up the photo of the 'X' and it looks very much like it's over stamped over another mark, maybe a much fainter stamped normal RC 'X' or partial 'X'....for the same reason you mention....?
falco67

#7 Post by falco67 »

Here is a photo of the bolt, it looks OK to me.

I bought the rifle from a club member who is now in his 90's and he had owned it for a long while. I'm sure he told me he bought for £80 :squirrel:

So whatever happened, happened a long while ago.
Attachments
K98BOLT.jpg
GeeRam

#8 Post by GeeRam »

falco67 wrote:Here is a photo of the bolt, it looks OK to me.

I bought the rifle from a club member who is now in his 90's and he had owned it for a long while. I'm sure he told me he bought for £80 :squirrel:

So whatever happened, happened a long while ago.
It might have been one of the first RC imports back in the 1990's, so likely he might have had it since then, and maybe it was overstamped on import at the time?

The 'X' stamp was the passed inspection mark applied after these had all been taken out of storage and processed/rebuilt by the USSR in the late 1950's, when the electro-pencil markings were applied and all the swastika's on the Waffenampt's were peened out, and that it was now Soviet property.
Your's being a very early K98 means it had the old Weimer acceptance marks applied, so the Soviets never bothered peening these out during the refurb.

Is it a good shooter?
falco67

#9 Post by falco67 »

I've eventually got around to posting on the K98 Forum and received a reply from mrfarb

"Everything looks legit, typical Russian capture but a pretty rare code. That X is not often the type seen but is a legit variation."

if I get any more replies I will let you know.

GeeRam, yes it shoots fine but I am limited to 50 and 100 yards.
GeeRam

#10 Post by GeeRam »

falco67 wrote: GeeRam, yes it shoots fine but I am limited to 50 and 100 yards.
My aging eyes mean that I restrict mine to only 100/200yrds now anyway, as the standard v-notch German sights are not very old eye friendly I find. I have shot mine at 300yrds but it was a struggle (for me, not the rifle) at that range.
It was easier at 300 yards with my previously owned K98kF1 as the Noggie's altered the front and rear sights to U-notch and squared front post when they converted them to 30-06 in the 1950's.