What Choke?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Cluain Cartha

What Choke?

#1 Post by Cluain Cartha »

Hi to all.

I would be very grateful for any advice please, on what would be the best “Chokes” for me to use as still fairly new to the sport & really pleased with my progress while shooting Clays, so far even though the “Wheels fall off” now and then! But I will not be put off :D

I have been given various advice, but presently I have an “Improved modified” & “Modified” Chokes which came with my Beretta “Collection 96”.

I do understand the reasoning behind Chokes, but am a long way off to fully appreciate them in depth, but I know I need a bigger percentage of shot in a circle at a given distance (35-40yrds) to give me that better chance of hitting the clay especially at the level I’m currently at?

Many thanks! :)
Robin128

Re: What Choke?

#2 Post by Robin128 »

For English Sporting (ES) I use a quarter choke/modified.

Tightening up the chokes will give you a smaller pattern and should travel a little straighter for the longer shots, perhaps at the cost of missing shorter clays.

Don't get too strung out about chokes...try to stick to 2 similar chokes, top and bottom.

Stick to the same cartridge as well...what No do you use?

It's practice you need.

Remind me, how long are your barrels? I believe 30" is the norm for ES these days, but not at the exclusion of shorter barrels.

There is some very good info in this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun

:)
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have always shot 1/4 and 3/4 in my Miroku as they seem to get me on most clays however I have shot with some people who carried a dozen chokes and would swap them from stand to stand. Equally a friend (Beretta 304) only shoots with a full choke regardless of the stand including skeet. Whatever you are comfortable with for 85% of the birds is a good start.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
swampy

#4 Post by swampy »

ovenpaa wrote:I have always shot 1/4 and 3/4 in my Miroku as they seem to get me on most clays however I have shot with some people who carried a dozen chokes and would swap them from stand to stand. Equally a friend (Beretta 304) only shoots with a full choke regardless of the stand including skeet. Whatever you are comfortable with for 85% of the birds is a good start.
this is how i work aswell, except i always shoot 1/4 and 1/2. i don't change them whether claying, game shooting or wildfowling. :flag5:
Rascal

#5 Post by Rascal »

I agree what has already been said, don't get too hung up on chokes. Worrying about if you have the right chokes can distract you from the job in hand, breaking the clays.

Most of the English sporting I do is quite close 30-45 yds. max, so I use 1/4 and 3/8. My reasoning is simple, I want quick spread on my pattern for the close-ish targets with a little extra choke for simultaneous pair where the second clay has had a bit more time to get further away and a little bit more choke can help.

However another guy at my regular shoot uses a semi and only ever uses a skeet choke and he always scores well. At the other extreme George Digweed has fixed chokes of full and extra full on his gun, and he is a multi-world champion.

So it only goes to prove put the chokes in you think make sense i.e. 1/4 & 1/2 seems to be the norm, and practice practice practice. That's the best way to improve your scores.

It doesn't matter how long you have been shooting when you’re having a bad spell this sport does plays with you mind.... Cartridge choice can also be a dilemma, 'Should I use 7 1/2 or 8's? On those close clays maybe a skeet load of 9's. What about 6's for that edge on rabbit... tighter choke for Fibre then plastics .... What manufacturers cartridges patterns best through mu gun/choke comination, speed, hardness of shot.

I decided to stick with one cartridge for everything, and keep my chokes at ¼ and 3/8. Gives me a lot less to worry about on the stand and just focus on the target

Enjoy...
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

Good post Rascal.

:good:
Cluain Cartha

#7 Post by Cluain Cartha »

Many, many thanks to all of you for the replies!

By the sounds of it the 1/4 choke is a must, and am now in the process of getting them, & then "End of subject" for me for some time :D

And as said Rascal, I won't get "Hung up" on this issue, very right, I've got a long, long way to go with many more important points to be addressed 1st!

Anyway, once again thank's to you all, & I will, persist, persevere, whatever & will not give in till consistent "Clay breaking" is mine! :lol: