Brass Preparation

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Christel
Site Admin

Brass Preparation

#1 Post by Christel »

I was wondering if there is anybody out there who reload anything unusual that needs additional stages in preparation?
It is just that we have a couple of wildcat chamberings that require a few necking down stages and some neck trimming and on top of all that some fire forming plus numerous checks in-between and I was wondering if anyone else goes through something similar?

Now, this is I do certainly not mind doing, actually my favourite part is filling the powder in the cases once we get that far.
However I have so far rejected the idea of also measuring the cases and weighing the bullets but some people do and I was wondering if it makes a difference in accuracy?
Last edited by dromia on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate language :)
Jenks

Re: Brass Preparation

#2 Post by Jenks »

christel wrote:I was wondering if there is anybody out there who reload anything unusual that needs additional stages in preparation?
It is just that we have a couple of wildcat chamberings that require a few necking down stages and some neck trimming and on top of all that some fire forming plus numerous checks in-between and I was wondering if anyone else goes through something similar?

Now, this is I do certainly not mind doing, actually my favourite part is filling the powder in the cases once we get that far.
However I have so far rejected the idea of also measuring the cases and weighing the bullet heads but some people do and I was wondering if it makes a difference in accuracy?

Never tried sorting cartridge cases by weight, always try and keep them in batches. I have annealed some cases (necks only) in the past. I had a couple of hundred 308win IMI cartridges with 168grn match Bullet. vvvvv accurate. the brass struck me as being very good quality. I used it many times over, and then annealed the cartridge neck and used them a load (pun) more times. I have also tried turning case necks. Didn't make a blind bit of difference to the accuracy. Not saying that it wouldn't assist a top shot in maintaining his accuracy. But for this average shot ...........NAH! :lol:

Graham M
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Graham M »

christel wrote:I was wondering if there is anybody out there who reload anything unusual that needs additional stages in preparation?

However I have so far rejected the idea of also measuring the cases and weighing the bullet heads but some people do and I was wondering if it makes a difference in accuracy?
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
TobyH

#4 Post by TobyH »

:lol:
Jenks

#5 Post by Jenks »

Graham M wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's her ball, she's allowed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I neck turn brass to 12.5 thou for my 7mm as it is a tight neck (.316) chamber so finished load is .284+.025= .311 - clearance is a bit more than a Benchrest shooter would go for however as it is for F Open it allows for any crud that could get in if shooting in less than ideal conditions. My neck turning is either with a SincInt tool permanently set to size or a Unimat 3 lathe which means turning a new push fit mandrill each time to keep run out to a minimum.

I have to neck turn for this rifle, and in theory if nothing else it *should* give me slightly more repeatable neck tension, truth be known I am not convinced, of as much importance is the cleaning of the inside of the neck and how repeatable this stage is. I do not tumble my cases as they took a long time to prepare and it seems dim to bash them around for an hour or two. I do have an ultrasonic cleaner but seldom use it.

On the neck tension front I keep my neck sizing to absolute minimum using a Forster die and typically will size down by not much more than a thou. I was tempted to neck turn the front of the necks to the depth of the bullet and then fire form so I only have to push the bullets in and my neck tension issues are gone for good however I bump to .005" and the thought of having to stuff a rod down the barrel to clear the bullet and brush the chamber out every time I un-chambered a live round put me off, anyway what happens as the throat erodes, I sure do not want to turn new cases every 100 shots.

I do know someone that has spent a lot of time neck turning all his .308 cases, maybe he can comment further on the benefits?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

Ok fine guys, bullets then.

What's a girl to do...
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

Sorted.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Graham M
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#9 Post by Graham M »

christel wrote:Ok fine guys, bullets then.

What's a girl to do...
Sorry Gal.........couldn't resist it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
G.M.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

I am of the opinion that the less I have to do to reload the better. I know I have to do all the stages needed for my wildcat however the weighing and measuring of BULLETS and cases, nah I will not do that. In my world it does not make any difference to the accuracy of my rifle. I reckon it is a mental thing more than anything else. I will go as far as to say that I am the weakest link when it comes to the accuracy of my rifle.

So clean the neck of the case inside and out
Take the old primer out, decap it for the people in the know! Jenks anyone.... :D
Clean the primer seat, I normally let Ovenpaa do this because I have a tendency to grind at it.. :roll:
New primer in. Always fun, when is it going to go bang!
Powder in, yah!
BULLET in, then check the bullet run out approx where the ogive meets the lands.

Hey, small little soldiers ready for action.