Case trimers

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
TobyH

Case trimers

#1 Post by TobyH »

I currently use a hand tool type trimmer but am looking to try and get a bit better consistency with reloading so was looking to see what types of case trimmers (the one like a mini lathe).

Can anyone give me any recommendations? It'll be for .308 rounds.
Ovenpaa

Re: Case trimers

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Do you mean trim to length or neck turning?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TobyH

#3 Post by TobyH »

Think it trimming to length. I believe you set a certain length then just turn until its done and move on to the next. I didn't know you would want to trim the neck.
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I use a Lyman universal case trimmer for case lengths, mine was around GBP30 at the time but they have jumped in price now, for me it does the job adequately.

Neck turning is when you reduce the thickness of the neck to improve neck tension or if you are shooting a tight neck chamber, I have to say that unless you have a real need to neck turn it is best avoided as it is an incredibly time consuming job that requires some very accurate gauging to measure the neck wall thickness.

I use a Sinclair neck trimmer and a watch makers lathe with a dedicated arbour for my neck turning and if I could get away without it I would.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TobyH

#5 Post by TobyH »

Think I'll leave the neck trimming until I retire!!

Prices seem to be near the £100 mark, though that was only a quick search on Midway UK.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Ouch, that is too much for such an item. MidwayUK is always pricey and other people do usable alternatives, I chose the one I have because it a universal case holding clamp and comes with different pilots. It was also the only make they had at the time :)

If your cases are within specification it is worth taking your time and looking around to see what is available, I am after another one at the moment as I have mine set up for my 7mm and would like to keep something dedicated to that case only. Have you considered buying from the USA? Periodically my neighbour and I submit an order to Sinclair International and share the postage costs. The down side is SincInt is like a grown up's sweet shop and things take a while to come. Buying from them both saves money and allows you to buy things not readily available over here.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/
/d

Shed Journal
Jenks

#7 Post by Jenks »

I have a Wilson Case Trimmer, a nice bit of kit. I can't remember what I paid for it, I have had it a long time.

Jenks
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#8 Post by pe4king »

I use the Lee hand held case trimmer with an adapter to fit a cordless drill works fine for me and they are cheap
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
jjvc

#9 Post by jjvc »

I use the lee trimmer with a drill and also a RCBS trimpro which i bought second hand. It doesn't matter what i use i still hate the case trimming stage!

Joe

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

I have Pacific, Lyman - motorised, Forster, Lee, Redding and Bonanza trimmers. The most consistent for length are the Forster, Bonanza.

My take on consistency is how the case is held in the trimmer, all the trimmers trim to the same length on the trimmer as the cutting length is fixed on them all.

The difference in length after trimming is related to the variable rim thickness of the case. The Lyman and the Pacific for example hold the case by pressing the forward facing part of the rim against a shell holder or adjustable shellholder type as in the Lyman. Therefore the constant cutting length is from the front part of the rim to the case mouth. The actual measured overall length is from the back of the rim to the case mouth, therefore any variation in rim thickness is not taken account of when you set up these cutters and this variation is refelected when you measure the final length.

The Forster uses a collet that grips the case rim round its circumference therefore when setting these types up the cutting length is set from the actual base of the case, which you measure case length from, not the front the front of the rim where you don't measure case length from.

The little Bonanza just has small and large primer pins that the case sits on and provided the pockets are swaged consistently then it works very well indeed.

So if I want great consistency then its the Forster or Bonanza, for bulk work and getting military brass down to almost minimum case length I use the Lyman and finish on the Bonanza or Forster. The Pacific is set up to trim .577" Snider and like calibre brass where the odd though difference isn't so much of an issue.

So when looking for a trimmer I would recommend those that set their cutting length from the base of the case not the fron of the rim.

If you are happy about the consistency of your case rims them any type will do.

The Wilson type use a different case holder approach and seem to work very well although the case holders can be very expensive especially if you load for many calibres.

Hope this makes sense.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/