A chilly day at Melville

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

A chilly day at Melville

#1 Post by shugie »

Sorry, no pics.

First time I've been to Melville for ages, and the first time to try out two of my new toys, the .22 Anschutz and the Rossi .357.

The Rossi was new in May, ostensibly new in the box from the closing down sale at Adenbourne. First ten rounds went onto the target, mostly in the black, from 25 yard standing. Next ten rounds had one misfire, slight mark on the primer, tried it again after consulting, went bang as required. Then ten more without a problem at 50 yds, all on the target, all but two in the black. Back to 25 yds to finish off the remaining 20 rounds (all new ammo, not reloads as far as I could tell), another couple of misfires, then one went off as I worked the lever to reload, the round hit the target but I decided that was not as it should be, and stopped. Three rounds left, one a misfire with a slight primer mark. (Email now sent to Highland, the importer, to see what, if anything, they are going to do about the warranty).

The Anschutz behaved impeccably, and at 25 yds will put all the rounds into the area covered by a large patch, the 1" square, or thereabouts, sort. A bit more scattering at 50 yds, but I was sitting down, using a bipod and a scope, so I need to improve a bit. Semi-auto does provide the ability to get through ammo rather quickly I noticed.

Amazing how cold Melville stays even when the sun is shining with some warmth out of the wind.

After a quick trip for an essential bacon sarni, I repaired to Canada House for our club AGM, with special guests our very own Heather and the new top man of the NRA, Andrew Mercer, who seems remarkably enthusiastic after his first week in post. He did cause a slight raising of eyebrows when he started talking about target shooters, as the club is not into competition, other than the occasional McQueens, the chairman later confirmed the club status as plinkers, but I suspect huge insult would have been taken if we'd initially been identified as such. It was good to see the NRA taking an interest in what is, by any standards, a very small club that just uses the facilities and doesn't do the competition stuff. I suspect though that there are many more much the same. I get the impression that Andrew Mercer has grasped the need to show that the NRA is not just for Bisley shooters.

Mercifully the meeting was brief, and the subs didn't get increased!
Careful now/that sort of thing
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: A chilly day at Melville

#2 Post by Mike357 »

Alan Povedin can slick up your Rossi. Not many folk out there working on Rossis.

Your are lucky you live so close to Bisley. Our range was almost impossible to get to due to the mud, partly sodden and bloody freezing to today!!!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Re: A chilly day at Melville

#3 Post by shugie »

Mike357 wrote:Alan Povedin can slick up your Rossi. Not many folk out there working on Rossis.

Your are lucky you live so close to Bisley. Our range was almost impossible to get to due to the mud, partly sodden and bloody freezing to today!!!
How would I make contact with Alan Povedin?
Careful now/that sort of thing