Brass Preparation

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Dangermouse

Re: Brass Preparation

#21 Post by Dangermouse »

I am pleased to read that people with years of experience have found no benefit in weighing cases and heads.

I weighed both for the Europeans, put them in my box in ascending order and then on the range, promptly tipped the box up side down in my bag!

If I may add a Q's,

How long do people tumble their cases for? As my media is still reasonably fresh I was tumbling for around 45 minutes. But with the last batch I left them in for a round an hour and a half and saw only marginal benefit,

DM
Christel
Site Admin

#22 Post by Christel »

Dangermouse wrote:I am pleased to read that people with years of experience have found no benefit in weighing cases and heads.

I weighed both for the Europeans, put them in my box in ascending order and then on the range, promptly tipped the box up side down in my bag!

If I may add a Q's,

How long do people tumble their cases for? As my media is still reasonably fresh I was tumbling for around 45 minutes. But with the last batch I left them in for a round an hour and a half and saw only marginal benefit,

DM
The meaning of life materialises when you tip a box upside down after all that work...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Gun Pimp

#23 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Tumbling? never do it - in five or six firings it just doesn't get that dirty.

In the old pistol-shooting days, brass got strewn all over the range and reloaded until it fell apart - tumbling was popular then.

Cheers
Vince
Dangermouse

#24 Post by Dangermouse »

Oh! Thats interesting.
I know John / HPS has told me in the past to get the cases in a tumbler within 2 days or they start to corrode/weaken the necks. I guess that if you want to try and get up to ten uses out of a case then it becomes more important.

DM
Ovenpaa

#25 Post by Ovenpaa »

christel wrote:The meaning of life materialises when you tip a box upside down after all that work
Having watched Christel inadvertently empty a box of my neatly ordered 7mm's into the sand (We had an audience at the time, possibly the Danish Army?) I can certainly sympathise with anyone else that does similar. I pad the inside of my cases with foam and keep meaning to add more security with an elastic band, just in case....

I used to tumble my rifle cases to the point that they gleamed but stopped a couple of years ago, as Christel always points out, 'Why spend so much time forming your brass to then bash it all around"? Brass cleaning for us is a very worn out green kitchen scourer to clean the outside of the necks and a PB brush driven by a cordless screwdriver plunged into the neck and out again at as at consistent a rate as I can get it, plus I always carefully clean the pockets with a SincInt uniformer by hand.

We still use the tumbler but with a smaller bowl for Moly coating, which reminds me, I have a question for the forum on coatings but that is for a different thread :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
The Gun Pimp

#26 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Good point from John (HPS) - though I've never personally experienced it.

I shoot something different every week and the empties will typically stay in the ammo box - as they left the range - until I reload them - usually a month later just before the next comp.

In benchrest, I use a set of cases for a season and they could be reloaded up to 40 times - I still don't tumble and I've never experienced any neck problems.

I guess John is referring to his production ammo., when cases are returned under the deposit system, to be reloaded. Obviously he needs to tumble to make the cases look new for re-use. If they have been shot in the rain - who knows when? - then he will want to get them in the tumbler ASAP.

I suppose it's a bit like batch-weighing - do it if it makes you feel good.

Cheers
Vince