Brass Preparation

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Graham M
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: Brass Preparation

#11 Post by Graham M »

Oooooooh
I love it when women talk dirty. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

G.M.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
The Gun Pimp

#12 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Christel,

I used to batch weigh brass for 6PPC benchrest but I've proved to my own satisfaction that it is a fruitless excercise - but do it if it makes you feel good.

There is a feeling that a lighter case will have more volume and therefore maybe lower the pressure slightly but I went to the factory of a major amunition manufacturer once and asked if they batched-weighed. They showed me a graph made from thousands of rounds - case weight v velocity - there was no trend.

Cheers
Vince
targetman

#13 Post by targetman »

I have to say that over nearly 40 years of reloading, including competition ammunition, that the most basic methods work well. Clean the case thoroughly, clean the primer pocket, re-size, re-prime, re-charge and seat bullet. Job done.

All the careful selection by weight, neck thickness, neck tension etc., etc., may produce perfect ammunition but one thing that perfect ammunition cannot do is to read the wind on any given day at the range.

In other words the most important element in reloading and shooting is the nut holding the butt......you !! A good shot, with good wind reading ability, using a decent rifle and average ammunition will out shoot somebody using the latest shooting machine, the best hand loaded ammunition who does not have the ability to exploit it.

Having said all that, I do think there is great pleasure to be derived from the process of bringing together the components to the best of your abilities. I started hand loading because I could not afford the best ammunition, my biggest investment was my time. I still get a great deal of satisfaction in loading and using match quality ammunition that costs about 50% less than the guy next to me on the firing point, especially if I do my bit and read the conditions accurately.
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#14 Post by pe4king »

targetman wrote:In other words the most important element in reloading and shooting is the nut holding the butt......you !! A good shot, with good wind reading ability, using a decent rifle and average ammunition will out shoot somebody using the latest shooting machine, the best hand loaded ammunition who does not have the ability to exploit it.
I have witnessed the perfect example of this a bloke at our club has some (about 6) of the most expensive precision rifles with optics to match known to man, he it from what I hear and see is completely anal about his reloading to the point of stupidity.
:?: :idea: And to put it scientificly :!: :!: :!:
He cant hit a cows arse with a banjo :?

True I saw it in colour :lol:
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
Christel
Site Admin

#15 Post by Christel »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christel
Site Admin

#16 Post by Christel »

The Gun Pimp wrote:Christel,

I used to batch weigh brass for 6PPC benchrest but I've proved to my own satisfaction that it is a fruitless excercise - but do it if it makes you feel good.

There is a feeling that a lighter case will have more volume and therefore maybe lower the pressure slightly but I went to the factory of a major amunition manufacturer once and asked if they batched-weighed. They showed me a graph made from thousands of rounds - case weight v velocity - there was no trend.

Cheers
Vince

No trend eh, it does actually make me smile. I know of people who go to the nth degree to make the perfect round. It looks like what I started out by saying is the general consensus. No need to measure and weigh. However of course if it makes you feel better about what you are shooting then by all means go ahead.

:D
Ovenpaa

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

Repeatability is the most important factor, your scales may show 44.4 grains for your perfect load and 45.4 to to the person next to you that to a degree is less important than the fact that you can repeat your build quality with every reload. Feeling good about what you do is equally important because as I often say, it is one thing less to worry about at the range.

For some reason it reminds me of a brilliant Youtube clip I watched a couple of year ago, it was a young Australian lad hand building his ammunition with just a couple of dies and a hammer, I seem to remember he very seriously advocated the use of a well known lubricant available from the chemists as a case lube, he took immense pride in every step of the process using a powder dipper on an old bench outside and gave a running commentary. He felt good about what he was doing, it was one thing less to worry about and you just know he went out and used every round with as much pride as the most 'advanced' reloader. It honestly was a pleasure to watch him.

I bet he hit what he was aiming at as well ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#18 Post by Christel »

You mean like me?

:D
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

No, he used a hammer with finesse, you always look like you are clubbing baby seals...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#20 Post by Christel »

I meant hit what he was aiming at. Like me :D