Back in the USA

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Oddbod

Back in the USA

#1 Post by Oddbod »

Spent the best part of three weeks in New Mexico in May getting my biannual dose of shooting "proper" firearms.

First weekend was a Practical Pistol match & I was doing OK until the last magazine change of the final stage - bloody thing not only failed to drop but had to be pried out when back at my mate's place.
Guilty party was a cheapo magazine, which I replaced with a couple more Chip McCormick competition magazines prior to the next weekend's fun & games.
The pistol is a stainless steel Springfield 1911 that my mate loans me & is modifying to suit my left handedness - much nicer than last year's Gov't model.
Springfield 1911.jpg
I also have pretty much exclusive use of a BSA built L1A1 that now wears a Zeiss scope to aid my myopic view of the world & after some judicious parts fitting it now shoots sub 2" groups at 100yds so long as I don't feed it 1980's Indian surplus ammunition, coz if I do it shoots patterns rather than groups....
Slr1.jpg
Combine the 1911 with the L1A1 & add a Saiga 410 shotgun & that's what I used for a three day mix of shooting & bullsh***ing at the NRA Whittington Center which I've been attending since 2006 & I'm pleased to say I finished higher up the scoreboard this time than I have in the past.
As usual, I had a wee chore to do too - reloading several hundred cases ready for my next visit later in the year:
lightweight.jpg
Had some time behind my friend's .44 too; the loads were what he referred to as "bear killers" but I reckon I'm either immune to recoil, or too fick to feel it.

Of course there's a downside to all this: I've spent the past four weeks working my fingers off catching up with all the business stuff that didn't get done whilst I was away.

Now I need another holiday..... ;)
Ovenpaa

Re: Back in the USA

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Great range report, I am starting to understand where all the Brit shooters go now, probably the same reason the Viking and I head out to DK.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Oddbod

#3 Post by Oddbod »

The NRA Whittington Center is an amazing place, with accommodation for competitors, hunters & even passing visitors.
There are 16 or 17 ranges catering for pretty much everything except tank guns & open to everyone for $20 a day.
Apart from the ranges, there's another 50 something square miles of hunting land & an abandoned mine, complete with the remains of the town it once supported.
I also have evidence that bears do indeed crap in the woods.....
Bears do.jpg
Mr No-legs put in an appearance too, though in this case he was only of danger to small furry animals, as he was a gopher snake - shot down a hole like greased lightning a few seconds after the photo, so I guess he smelled lunch.
Mr no legs.jpg
We were told there were several mountain lion in the area & the ranger advised us to go armed if we went up the canyon on foot - felt a little odd strapping on a handgun for what might be termed a defensive reason for the first time in 30 years.

I know this post isn't firearms related, so here's the sunset on our last night there - everything in sight is part of the place:
Ff2012sunset.jpg
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I like the sunset picture :goodjob:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
1886lebel

#5 Post by 1886lebel »

The next time you come to New Mexico, you can hook up with me, I live just down the road you know in Albuquerque ... BTW we have an excellent range here in Albuquerque, it is where the NRA National Police Championship Shoots are held :)

Patrick
Oddbod

#6 Post by Oddbod »

1886lebel wrote:The next time you come to New Mexico, you can hook up with me, I live just down the road you know in Albuquerque ... BTW we have an excellent range here in Albuquerque, it is where the NRA National Police Championship Shoots are held :)

Patrick
I usually shoot at Zia Rifle and Pistol Club when I'm over & stay with a friend just north of Gibson & west of San Mateo.
I should be back some time between mid October & mid December depending on business commitments here.
1886lebel

#7 Post by 1886lebel »

I shoot at the Albuquerque Shooting Range Park, Zia is a little too much for me to buy a membership there.
When you come, PM or email me and we can hook up, plus you can come over to see my collection :)

Patrick
Oddbod

#8 Post by Oddbod »

Will do. :grin: