Lead Ban Update

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pete
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Lead Ban Update

#31 Post by Pete »

Humans and their stupid beliefs and ideas are the biggest environmental threat this planet faces.......

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#32 Post by Pippin89 »

I have to say that a quote I heard recently summed it up nicely....
You go to the shop and buy a loaf of bread in a plastic bag, meat in a plastic tray, milk in a plastic bottle, veg wrapped in plastic.... but carrier bags are the real enemy! lol
millemigliadave

#33 Post by millemigliadave »

I'm surprised that UKPSA have nothing on their website about this as it relates to PSG... However I'm not a UKPSA member - has anyone here heard any reaction or response from them on the potential banning of lead shot as it would at a stroke, prevent the use of steel plates?
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#34 Post by Dark Skies »

millemigliadave wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:14 am I'm surprised that UKPSA have nothing on their website about this as it relates to PSG... However I'm not a UKPSA member - has anyone here heard any reaction or response from them on the potential banning of lead shot as it would at a stroke, prevent the use of steel plates?
The general apathy of all shooters surprises me. I'm a member of a large club. We have morning shoots twice per week and evening shoots three times a week. It's an indoor range with permission for lead ammunition only. EVERYONE, then, shoots lead. In addition, at least a third shoot shotguns. I'd say at least half are also NRA members, so also shoot at Bisley and such.
And yet, despite the size of the membership, it seems I'm the only one that follows what's going on with the HSE and lead.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Christel
Site Admin

#35 Post by Christel »

I am confused as to what the government is playing at with the lead ban. Who exactly benefits?

We have to be as green as possible however land is being converted from arable to solar panels / windmills in places that just does not make sense. Ledburn springs to mind. Are we in reality talking about being as green as possible as long as there is money to be made and certain pressure groups get their way?
Mauserbill
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Range

#36 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
"Government" following on from all of our decades long history of restricting firearms ownership, and the many ambiguous falsehoods, and lies that we have perpetrated what is our next step "I KNOW" lets ban lead we know that there are many existing unsavoury things wrong with the UK but we can demolish the shooting community with this one step,
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#37 Post by Dark Skies »

Christel wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:19 am I am confused as to what the government is playing at with the lead ban. Who exactly benefits?

We have to be as green as possible however land is being converted from arable to solar panels / windmills in places that just does not make sense. Ledburn springs to mind. Are we in reality talking about being as green as possible as long as there is money to be made and certain pressure groups get their way?
And yet, the far more tangible harm of disease and overall foulness in dumping untreated excrement into our rivers and coastline goes virtually without address nor punishment.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Pete
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#38 Post by Pete »

Well, the "new government in waiting" might set out to address the s*** dumping scandal......then again, pigs might fly...
The sad fact is that 67 million people are using a system that was designed when the population was 30-35 million, and I'd say that sorting this is far more important than HS2.....
And I certainly won't be buying any locally sourced fish anytime soon.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#39 Post by Blackstuff »

millemigliadave wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:14 am I'm surprised that UKPSA have nothing on their website about this as it relates to PSG... However I'm not a UKPSA member - has anyone here heard any reaction or response from them on the potential banning of lead shot as it would at a stroke, prevent the use of steel plates?
There was a meeting of the Council the night after the HSE info was published but as yet there has been no word to the membership. I have raised this issue on the UKPSA forum and have been told there will be a response.

To be fair, PSG is knackered either way you slice it if a ban on lead ammo comes in. Even if we got an exemption, when clay and game shooters switch over to steel, the price of lead cartridges will skyrocket, possibly to the insane price of tungsten/bismuth cartridges, so no one but the wealthiest of shooters would be able to take part = death of the sport.

If the lead ban comes in we will have to make steel shot work somehow until someone waves a magic wand and invents a metal that hasn't been discovered yet that has the same soft and dense properties of lead, but is cheap enough for us peasants to afford and more importantly, isn't EVIL 8-)
DVC
redcat
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#40 Post by redcat »

Dark Skies wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:59 am I'm a member of a large club. We have morning shoots twice per week and evening shoots three times a week. It's an indoor range with permission for lead ammunition only. EVERYONE, then, shoots lead. In addition, at least a third shoot shotguns. I'd say at least half are also NRA members, so also shoot at Bisley and such.
And yet, despite the size of the membership, it seems I'm the only one that follows what's going on with the HSE and lead.
Page 15, item 6 in the document looks like the ban might not affect indoor shooting.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.