British revolvers are very, very strong.

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

BamBam

British revolvers are very, very strong.

#1 Post by BamBam »

Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

Re: British revolvers are very, very strong.

#2 Post by Mattnall »

Only 8?!

I raise you to 23+ :o
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
bigfathairybiker

#3 Post by bigfathairybiker »

This raises the question... WTF was the shooter thinking? I hope he/she has had their licence revoked. I wouldnt want to be on the same range while they were!!!!

Mark
BamBam

#4 Post by BamBam »

Is that a 12" Taurus barrel?
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#5 Post by Les »

wtfwtf

I think their home loads may have been a bit on the light side! :roll:

How the hell they never realised that the bullet wasn't actually exiting the bore is just beyond comprehension! :roll: kukkuk
c18rch
Home club or Range: New Forest

#6 Post by c18rch »

I got one stuck in the barrel of my LBR. It was using load data from a manual, it was the start load though. However I could tell something wasn't quite right. The recoil, muzzle blast (or lack there of), sound of the shot, etc, all felt wrong. The first thing I did was check the barrel for an obstruction. Sure enough the bullet was about an inch from the muzzle. And that was the end of my range session for the day. Bullet was removed easily by carefully drilling and screwing a self tapper into the bullet and pulling it out.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#7 Post by saddler »

Only happened once to me so far...first time I used the Mateba too!
Bloody annoying as I had to take it home to clear the blockage.
Laurie

#8 Post by Laurie »

Ha! Ha! Not that strong! You can plainly see a considerable bulge mid barrel in the top picture and the trapped bullets appear to increase in calibre from maybe 38 to 45!

I'm assuming this is the old inter-war Enfield 38, a Webley design shamelessly purloined by the War Office without any regard to patents and compensation. It was intended to fire a specially developed loading of the rather anaemic .38 S&W that used a very blunt 200gn softish lead bullet and was accordingly renamed the 38/200. In the late 1930s as war with Germany became increasingly likely, it was remembered that the Germans had got very uppity about lead bullet .455 loads during WW1 and threatened to shoot anybody captured with the old Webley MkVI and this ammo claiming it contravened the Hague convention on expanding bullets in warfare. So, a hurried redesign produced the truly abysmal .380 Revolver MkIIz round loaded with a 178-180gn FMJ bullet.

At its best, this was a notoriously poor manstopper, but a combination of tight, thick jacketed bullets and a tiny NC powder charge saw some batches have trouble getting the bullet through the barrel. This became worse as ammunition deteriorated with age and the revolver / cartridge became notorious for stacking bullets up in the barrel. The pressures were so low though that sometimes no serious damage was done and the barrel could be salvaged.

On the manstopping side, I shot many, many years back in the old Vintage Arms Association with a guy who'd been an infantry platoon leader during the British Army's anti-insurgent actions in the Aden Crater district in the 1960s. A terrorist appeared apparently out of nowhere and charge him and a corporal with a huge knife. The corporal who carried an SLR 'froze' but my friend emptied his 38 Enfield into the attacker at point-blank range - and had absolutely no effect, was slashed by the knife losing half an ear and getting a badly cut shoulder while feinting down and to one side. The attacker turned to have another go and my friend said he thought "This is it!", but luckily the other soldier came to and shot the guy at six feet range with the SLR - which stopped him! Afterwards, it was found that the revolver had put five rounds into the guy's torso but with poor penetration and none immediately disabling let alone fatal!
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#9 Post by Mattnall »

Yes it was, and now is again, a Taurus.

How he didn't know he wasn't hitting the target I'll never know, and it was the first question I asked. Apparently he stopped shooting as the last round fired couldn't make it go far enough in to the barrel to clear the cylinder and allow the next round to present itself.
IIRC from what he told me it was the first outing with a new gun, he fired some factory loads through it and then proceeded to fire (and reload more than once and fire some more!) the home loads with a powder charge recommended by the shop he bought it from.

Sometimes I wonder if this was one of them bad firearms the gun control people go on about, this one tried but just failed to hurt anybody except in pocket, thankfully.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.