Reproduction or original ???

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

targetman

Reproduction or original ???

#1 Post by targetman »

Not too many posts on this part of the forum but I thought I would pose a question anyway.

I have a few black powder cartridge rifles, Snider, Martini Henry, Alex Henry, Beaumont, Remington Rolling Block, Mauser, Kropatschek, all original and most in good shooting condition. I also have one reproduction a Pedersoli Rolling Block in 45/100.

However, I have long had a hankering for a muzzle loader so , what do I get, a Parker Hale repro of a .577" Enfield or the original ?

The repro will be cheaper and probably shoot better but the original, although more expensive, will hold it's price. The original will, though, probably not shoot so well.

Any thoughts ??
Sim G

Re: Reroduction or original ???

#2 Post by Sim G »

There are plenty of guys who shoot originals. My mate literally has scores of them! M/L rifles are his thing. He also has a few "reproductions", which are estentially hand made replicas of flintlocks. He's had a few imported and a a Brit, Paul Sawney has made him a couple. For a short while, I even had a Pedersoli Hawken. It was an impulse buy after a Sunday afternoon watching Jeremiah Johnson!

Good quality reproductions aren't cheap, but then nor are originals. Big difference is you'll never lose your money on an original, as long as S58 remains......
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
targetman

Re: Reproduction or original ???

#3 Post by targetman »

As long as Sec58 remains.......????? Dont like the implication of that !!!!
Robin128

#4 Post by Robin128 »

I didn't read any implications into that...have another read.

The rifle would appeal not only to another shooter, but also as an ornament to a collector under s58.

:D
targetman

#5 Post by targetman »

Only meant that if Section 58 goes then so does a large part of my collection. I am sure it won't happen but it does just give me a bit of a shiver down the spine... :o :o

A good many of the rifles I have on my FAC are "antique or curios" as defined under Section 58(2) and I want to be able to take them off ticket when I am too old and crotchety to shoot them (probably next year according to my wife!!!) and be able to hang them on the wall, or possible sell them to finance some other hobby....... :lol: :lol:
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

#6 Post by ResearchPress »

targetman wrote:The repro will be cheaper and probably shoot better but the original, although more expensive, will hold it's price. The original will, though, probably not shoot so well.
A good orginal will holds its own against a repro.; mine does anyway! :)

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
targetman

#7 Post by targetman »

Thanks for the input.

David, exactly the point you make was put to me by a fellow club member this week and in truth an original is my prefered option.

Next thing, which one and what calibre ????
ResearchPress
Home club or Range: Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB

#8 Post by ResearchPress »

Calibre's the easy bit, if you're still talking Enfield that is - .577

There are however Goverment patterns to choose from or commercially made 'Enfields' that don't necessarily conform exactly to a 'Pattern' arm. The Pattern 53 is a long rifle and the rearsight is set closer to the eye. The length of the rifle may make it a little unweildly if you enjoy offhand shooting. The rearsight on the short rifles is set further away from the eye and may give a better sight picture for you. Have a look at the following article which should help: Managing the Enfield.

The NRA has matches for the Enfield in the Imperial Historic Arms Meeting and the Trafalgar Meeting. The MLAGB also has quite a few Enfield matches. Shooting from 50m to 600 yards! The Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB hold a competition for the Asquith Cup with Enfields - comprsing 15 shots at each distance 600 & 800 yards.

If however you're wanting to do some 'serious' target shooting with a muzzle loader then you'll need a .451 military of full match rifle. Somewhat more expensive than the Enfield with good original full match rifles going for maybe £8k -£10k. Repros. are available.

David
www.researchpress.co.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
Robin128

#9 Post by Robin128 »

targetman wrote:Not too many posts on this part of the forum but I thought I would pose a question anyway.

I have a few black powder cartridge rifles, Snider, Martini Henry, Alex Henry, Beaumont, Remington Rolling Block, Mauser, Kropatschek, all original and most in good shooting condition. I also have one reproduction a Pedersoli Rolling Block in 45/100.

However, I have long had a hankering for a muzzle loader so , what do I get, a Parker Hale repro of a .577" Enfield or the original ?

The repro will be cheaper and probably shoot better but the original, although more expensive, will hold it's price. The original will, though, probably not shoot so well.

Any thoughts ??
Thinking about this, Targetman...there are two things at play in your mind...perhaps. :)

1. You are contemplating an investment...ie, you are hoping to make a profit after time.

and/or

2. Pride of possession, and you will have a weapon/antique that speaks to you.

Only you can decide.

:D