Catton Park Sunday 25th November

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

M99

Catton Park Sunday 25th November

#1 Post by M99 »

Well, 10 of us from URC are venturing to Catton on Sunday, shooting out to 450yds in realistic settings - anyone else going this weekend? (or want to join us?)

http://www.cattonriflesport.co.uk/

Mike
raybrown53

Re: Catton Park Sunday 25th November

#2 Post by raybrown53 »

MiLisCer wrote:Well, 10 of us from URC are venturing to Catton on Sunday, shooting out to 450yds in realistic settings - anyone else going this weekend? (or want to join us?)

http://www.cattonriflesport.co.uk/

Mike
Oh that looks fun. May have to look into going to one of the dates in 2013.
M99

#3 Post by M99 »

Well!!

Should have taken the boat! - On route we get a call from 2 of the group to say that the tide is in and they are struggling to get across the Trent - something about a little bit of flooding?

They were right!!! - we eventually arrived at Garlands Shooting ground after some interesting "Puddle" negotiating - ah so glad for 4x4s

The setup for the day had been limited to 250yds due to the appalling conditions, but hey the sun was out now. We had an interesting variety of "Different" targets to go at - most were reactive in some way - the spuds certainly exploded when his by the larger calibres, but the quicker smaller rounds made neat holes in them - same with the clay pigeons - my 6.5/55 was quite adept at putting very neat holes in the centre part of the clays - 3 or 4 before they fell apart - however, a hit on the ridged edge and they crumpled neatly. The tiny mini clays (1" circles) powdered nicely when hit though.

The spuds were suspended by string on a simple frame and certainly made for some fun shooting at totally different targets - apparently cabbage go well too!

Some of the group spent a fair amount of time on the benches, sorting out scopes at 50+100yds - whilst a small group of us stayed on the other firing point, enjoying blowing up spuds and clays!! (There were also conventional paper targets to check aim/wind on) - the wind on the range was tricky to say the least at 170 yards there was no wind at 200yds it was 2 MOA LEFT but at 250 yards it was 1.5 MOA right (All from same firing point!) then of course it would drop right off and there would be no wind - hey ho!

I would highly recommend that anyone who wants to try something a little different do so here - it is a good day out for only £20.

They have 2 venues and the Catton park shoot has the better selection of targets and longer distances.

Mike

PS - no engaging the hard targets - that is next weekend at Sennybridge!
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

That paintjob looks mint on those hay bails...

I would have loved to have come down, but I was under the impression you have to have something other that target shooting on your cert for this venue? Sounds like you had a blast though :)
M99

#5 Post by M99 »

My best advice would be to either give Carl a ring, or drop him an email. He is very helpful.

Mike