First visit to the NRA SC

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

First visit to the NRA SC

#1 Post by shugie »

Rather later than planned, I set off for Bisley this morning. Usually sprog the smallest makes her presence known at 6:52, give or take a minute, but this morning she was an hour late. So I arrived well after nine, to set off in search of Heather at Stickledown. Introductions done, I watched the fun for a minute or two, someone seemed to have a small but pungent cannon in operation over to the left. As instructed I went to make my number in the range office, only to find that the logging computer might have known me, but it was unaware of my firearms, and I couldn't myself enter them onto the system. At which point I deemed the attempt well made, and departed for Siberia, admiring as I went the new almost pothole free road along the side of Century. No longer need I fear for the life of my suspension.

At Siberia the 100 yard points appeared busy, with a queue for the benchrest point allocated to us. I moved to the prone point, which had a tin hat target and a chap perforating it with his no. 4. This turned out to be Steve, who seemed to making a fine job of the perforating to my untutored eye, his shooting with the no. 4 was better than my Tikka T3 with scope. I waited for him to finish, then setup my Tikka and blasted away, some fiddling on the scope seemed to get the holes more or less where I intended them to be. The Tikka in .223 is very nice to shoot, it's quite small and light, but comfortable with a lovely slick action. Even the trigger seems spot on, and it's not a new gun. Another mk 4 turned up, and Steve was chatting to its owner while I chilled out in the partial shade of one of the exiled benches. It was very hot, full sun and very muggy. I'm mostly Scottish by ancestry, too fair and too fat to enjoy hot weather. But I had another go, and while I was doing that another couple of sensible people decided the queue for the benchrest point was a bit much, and came to lie down in the sun too. One of them was debating a Tikka in .223 as a possible option, so I let him try mine, with which he seemed happy.

Steve showed me his Paramount scope mounting system, which is something I needed to understand when considering buying the Swing mk. 5. I now understand how the two sighting systems fit, and Steve was also kind enough to explain how V bull scoring worked, something that had previously puzzled me somewhat. The decimal point isn't, it's a separator. As the prone point was now deserted the marker had been stood down, but I decided I wanted to zero my Steyr having replaced the no brand rings with some Burris Zee rings to allow me more adjustment for 1000 yds, and set myself up to do just that. A few twiddles and 12 rounds got me zeroed at 100 yds, and all I need to do now is to work out the number of clicks to go from there to 300 yds. I kept my zero target from last time, so have some rough idea of the setting differences between 300 and 1000.

It was too hot, so I decided not to visit Stickledown in the afternoon to meet EagerNoSkill and his pals, a retreat to shade and slight cool beckoned!

Thanks to Heather and RCO Martin, all seemed to operate as intended.
Careful now/that sort of thing
saddler

Re: First visit to the NRA SC

#2 Post by saddler »

What is this mythical
mk 4
of which you speak ??
John25

#3 Post by John25 »

saddler wrote:What is this mythical
mk 4
of which you speak ??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_IV_tank

Not sure if Stickledown is cleared for it 'though?

:lol:
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Be nice! :lol:

Prolly more likely to be a No4 Mk1 or Mk2 Shugie.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#5 Post by kennyc »

shugie wrote:Rather later than planned, I set off for Bisley this morning. Usually sprog the smallest makes her presence known at 6:52, give or take a minute, but this morning she was an hour late. So I arrived well after nine, to set off in search of Heather at Stickledown. Introductions done, I watched the fun for a minute or two, someone seemed to have a small but pungent cannon in operation over to the left. As instructed I went to make my number in the range office, only to find that the logging computer might have known me, but it was unaware of my firearms, and I couldn't myself enter them onto the system. At which point I deemed the attempt well made, and departed for Siberia, admiring as I went the new almost pothole free road along the side of Century. No longer need I fear for the life of my suspension.

At Siberia the 100 yard points appeared busy, with a queue for the benchrest point allocated to us. I moved to the prone point, which had a tin hat target and a chap perforating it with his no. 4. This turned out to be Steve, who seemed to making a fine job of the perforating to my untutored eye, his shooting with the no. 4 was better than my Tikka T3 with scope. I waited for him to finish, then setup my Tikka and blasted away, some fiddling on the scope seemed to get the holes more or less where I intended them to be. The Tikka in .223 is very nice to shoot, it's quite small and light, but comfortable with a lovely slick action. Even the trigger seems spot on, and it's not a new gun. Another mk 4 turned up, and Steve was chatting to its owner while I chilled out in the partial shade of one of the exiled benches. It was very hot, full sun and very muggy. I'm mostly Scottish by ancestry, too fair and too fat to enjoy hot weather. But I had another go, and while I was doing that another couple of sensible people decided the queue for the benchrest point was a bit much, and came to lie down in the sun too. One of them was debating a Tikka in .223 as a possible option, so I let him try mine, with which he seemed happy.

Steve showed me his Paramount scope mounting system, which is something I needed to understand when considering buying the Swing mk. 5. I now understand how the two sighting systems fit, and Steve was also kind enough to explain how V bull scoring worked, something that had previously puzzled me somewhat. The decimal point isn't, it's a separator. As the prone point was now deserted the marker had been stood down, but I decided I wanted to zero my Steyr having replaced the no brand rings with some Burris Zee rings to allow me more adjustment for 1000 yds, and set myself up to do just that. A few twiddles and 12 rounds got me zeroed at 100 yds, and all I need to do now is to work out the number of clicks to go from there to 300 yds. I kept my zero target from last time, so have some rough idea of the setting differences between 300 and 1000.

It was too hot, so I decided not to visit Stickledown in the afternoon to meet EagerNoSkill and his pals, a retreat to shade and slight cool beckoned!

Thanks to Heather and RCO Martin, all seemed to operate as intended.
good to see you made it to Bisley, ignore the p***takers they wouldn't know a GS FD from a HES (except Ovenpaa ) tongueout :grin:
Steve E

#6 Post by Steve E »

Nice to meet you Shugie.
I was shooting my No4 MK2 with its newly installed barrel. At 100yds the 'Tin Hat Bull is quite easy to perforate. Shot it at 200yds in the afternoon and the bull got well perforated again. It got very hot in the afternoon and after about 40rnds I had had enough and retired to the Surrey for a well earned Aspell.