New Stock has arrived....

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

TobyH

New Stock has arrived....

#1 Post by TobyH »

....unortunately action/barrel won't be here for another couple of weeks!

Its a Bell & Carlson Medalist for the Howa 1500. Full aluminium bedding system (full length). Looks and feels nicely weighted. No problems shipping from the US either, got charged £40 for duty and post office charge, but still good value. Have to say I'm getting fed up of waiting for my local shop.
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." - Dick Sharples
The Gun Pimp

Re: New Stock has arrived....

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Toby,

It's always good to know the name of a US dealer who will ship quickly to the UK - who did it, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers
Vince
TobyH

#3 Post by TobyH »

It was these chaps http://www.rifle-accuracy.com/. They order direct from Bell & Carlson who ship direct to you.

Was about 6 weeks wait for mine, but they did say it can take between 2-6 weeks.
TobyH

#4 Post by TobyH »

Well, here's my first attempt at an adjustable cheek piece.

I've used Makrolon (like perspex). Cut to basic size, made a mould, stuck it in the oven to 165'C for 30 min, pulled out when maleable and moulded it, cut to exact shape then sanded edges.

Next step is to cut some slots in it, then sand blast it to get a matt finish on it. then need to drill some holes in the (brand new!) stock :o and fit the screws etc.

You can't see very well in the pics, but the stock is very square at the top, so the cheek piece makes it a bit rounder and alot more comfy!

Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Looking good so far Toby, it is so much more fun to make your own bits than buy them as well :D
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

Looks good! Well done that man.

Make sure you allow room for the bolt and the cleaning rod when you go to fit it.
Or at least be able to remove it easily?
TobyH

#7 Post by TobyH »

Well you've seen my handy work in person!! I much prefer to do it myself than spend fortunes on paying for other peoples stuff. Plus you can make alot more personalised.

I have a feeling it may be too tight for the bolt to come out, but will wait until I get the action before drilling. Where did you get those wing nut things from?
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

The bolts holding my cheek pad are mushroom head jobbies that were the right length and finished in chemical black with torx heads. I have a feeling they came off a motorbike and they look new so no doubt it was some essential part I binned ;) I may have a couple more if you are stuck. The 'wing nuts' on mine right now are indeed wing nuts as I have not ordered the correct item yet. I intend to use 'thumb wheel nuts' probably from RS Components

Scroll down the page a bit to see what they do

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... breadCrumb

I need to order some for another project and some black clamp handles which are basically the same sort of thing as the Podlock you can buy for Harris bipods. RS Comps are cheap and quick to post and usually of a good quality. Christel has an account if you get stuck with minimum orders/postage etc.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TobyH

#9 Post by TobyH »

We use RS a fair bit so no probs there. Will have a sniff around and see whats about.
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Christel is quite right, getting the bolt out is a serious consideration and it will be worth making sure you can do that. What did you make the template for you pad out of?
/d

Shed Journal