Combination neck thickness and bullet run out gauge.

'Something shiny from the SHED' - A range of shooting and reloading accessories designed and built here in the UK.
Ovenpaa

Combination neck thickness and bullet run out gauge.

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I do like this… A combination neck thickness and bullet run out gauge. The customer supplied the Mitutoyo gauge that reads to 5 decimal places! Material is polished 6086 T6 and 316 stainless with some A4 stainless screws. The picture is crap but it is lovely in real life and I am quite proud of it as a gauge, hopefully it will be around for many years.
Combination.jpg
Things like this are a labour of love and I build them as individual commissions, I shudder to think how much it should really cost if I take into account the time I spent polishing and detailing it. Because it has a trick Mitutoyo on it I added a step to the mast to protect the gauge from damage if the user loosens the screw and drops the mast right down, at least this way it saves damaging the plunger. The mast itself sits on a fibre washer to prevent marking the base plate. The guide for the case on the right is canted very slightly away from the user so that there is less chance of rolling the case out of the guide when checking for run out.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Combination neck thickness and bullet run out gauge.

#2 Post by 20series »

another quality Shooting Shed product :goodjob: mine's not that shiney though :clap:

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Dougan

Re: Combination neck thickness and bullet run out gauge.

#3 Post by Dougan »

That's very cool! :good:

And a possible '50 sheds' quote? - 'Oh it's shiny as well, she said, while taking a good measurement of the thickness...yes, but don't play with it now, I said, putting the gauge back on the bench'.