Checking for signs of pressure.

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

Re: Checking for signs of pressure.

#21 Post by Robert303 »

Very interesting series of posts. I have to hold my hands up to 'Stiff Bolts' a few years ago when as a new reloader I started chasing velocity. Those of us who shoot classic rifles must also remember that many of these are approaching, or are over 100 years old, and we should not be running maximum loads. The practice of using pistol powder 'downloads' as seen on some forums is in my opinion downright dangerous. Never 'Try it to see what happens' which one club member was guilty of in the old pistol shooting days when he required a new barrel for his 9mm Browning high power. When he got it he loaded up again with some of his reloads until gently asked 'Colin can you remember why you needed a new barrel?' At that point he saw sense and his shooting improved as he was not fighting mega recoil all the time.
Above all take your time at each stage of the reloading process especially when checking cases during cleaning and don't forget to check case length and the need to trim cases. I know of one case where a Krag was blown up by sloppy reloading practices and using the wrong powder. It all sounds so obvious but do we do it ALL the time or do we allow ourselves to get rushed by having to reload in a hurry for a shoot tomorrow?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#22 Post by dromia »

Robert303 wrote: The practice of using pistol powder 'downloads' as seen on some forums is in my opinion downright dangerous.
Why do you see this as dangerous when there is good data and statistical precedent for it?

Surely it is no more dangerous than using any other data when used with good handloading practice.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#23 Post by Alpha1 »

I am curious to know why you think this is dangerous.
Robert303

#24 Post by Robert303 »

Sorry if I overgeneralised on pistol powders, but there is the problem of volume and the powder lying along the case which with some powders, I was reliably informed by an Army Ammunition Technical Officer, could lead to detonation as opposed to burn. He stated that the shock wave from this was more liable to produce shattering or brisance* than bursting. Should you have access to printed data or manufacturers online data on using pistol powders in .303 / 6.5 x 55 Swedish I would appreciate it if you could let me have the link or reference. I'm always willing to learn ;-)
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisance
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#25 Post by dromia »

SEE has been statistically proved to happen with less than 60% case fill of medium to slow rifle powders have a partial ignition driving the bullet into the rifling, the powder then ignites fully and the bullet has become an obstruction sending pressure through the roof. "Firearms Pressure Factors" by L E Brownell PhD.

The detonation effect you refer to has never been proved with fast powders even although many have tried to replicate it. I would like to see the reference where this relates to and has been replicated in medium sized cases and fast burning powders.

As to data Mattern and Harris are the primary sources backed by decades of statistical data from this country and abroad, this data has been robust enough for gaining range insurance for such loadings.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Robert303

#26 Post by Robert303 »

Thanks for that I'll go and do some more reading.
Whizzbang

#27 Post by Whizzbang »

Perhaps the most likely pitfall with fast/pistol powders for "down-loading" rifle ammunition is the possibility of double-charging a case due to the small volume of powder.

Of course, good reloading practices should identify this eventuality. Should...
dromia
Site Admin

#28 Post by dromia »

That is about the procedure of reloading nothing to do with the actual use of fast pistol powders in medium calibre rifle cases.

Also this can happen in other loading situations and is not just a risk when using small loads rifle cases, the same risk can be there when loading other calibres.

Double charging, under charging, bridged charges, excessive seating depth, using the wrong powder, misreading the data etc. etc. are all risks about the process of handloading not about the load itself.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Bryan Austin

#29 Post by Bryan Austin »

For those that load low pressure cartridges, you may exceed max pressures long before you see any signs of "overpressure warnings". The "max" pressure loads we see listed for the 44-40, for example, can more than double before pressures signs might can be seen. Winchester manufactured 44 "High Velocity" loads only to be used in the Winchester Model 92' and other strong action rifles. It produced up to 22,000 cup. "Max" published and normal loads only produced 13,000 cup or less. Some handloads in older 1930's manuals, well know and reputable to handloaders at the time, have 44-40 loads that top out at 30,000 cup....which could be catastrophic effects on revolvers or weak action rifles.

Lot's of good information under this topic!
crismaqsood
Home club or Range: NRA

#30 Post by crismaqsood »

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation...

Really informative!