RAF, Lloyds bank and HWRA @ Bisley 3,6,9 & 1000 yards 9/6/12

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

RAF, Lloyds bank and HWRA @ Bisley 3,6,9 & 1000 yards 9/6/12

#1 Post by TattooedGun »

I've kinda been putting off typing this up, basically because I had such a great day I don't think I'm going to be able to put into words just how awesome it was... atleast not to give it justice!

I shot as a reserve for the Hereford and Worcester County team, although as one guy was running late, I was straight into the scoring at 300 yards in the morning.

So Obviously we started at 300 yards on Century after sleeping the night in my friends caravan on Bisley. and I was the last to shoot out of our group. I was shooting TR (my RPA with Trakker rearsight and Fultons foresight using Homeloads of 2156 SMK, 46.8gr varget and Federal primers at all ranges for anyone interested).

As it was a team event we were shooting 1 to a firing point and it was coached, so basically the coach was reading the wind, and as the shooter all we were doing was pulling the trigger... Perfect for me as I'm not great at doping the wind just yet, and the "coached" session helped me identify a few new things I would never have picked up!

We were shooting 2 + 10 at all ranges, so a possible 50.10 was available at each range! (haha, like I'm gonna get close!)

So after my first shoot @ 300 yards, I did my worst of the day - I think its down to not getting settled into the rifle first thing and it takes a while for me to get into it. i shot 44.3!

We moved back to 600 yards and unfortunately had one of our members drop out at this range due to not having a very good nights sleep and feeling dizzy. - we did however have the guy who I shot in reserve for at the 300, so he took that gentleman's place and we carried on.

At 600 I shot a much better 47.3 without pulling too many shots! I was feeling a lot more settled into the rifle and I'd adjusted my sling to a more comfortable length.

We broke for lunch, and visited the Bisley museum. What a fantastic collection!! Thoroughly enjoyed looking round and particularly interested in the trench gun in the archive room, which had a periscope and an array of levers to work the bolt from down in the trench!

Image Image

After a quick bite to eat we made our way to Sticks and got onto 900 yard firing point.

I remember reading that a few people have had trouble with the markers on stickledown recently and hate to say we could see exactly what you mean!
I'd set my sights 5 minutes too high (on the foresight) so I was overshooting the target- yet the first 2 sighters came up and showed me as on the board 6 o clock to the bull on the edge of 4/5... this came up twice, then when started scoring, I got 3 misses in a row... Whats going on? on the third miss, we asked where we were going and got a radio message that we were missing high, which prompted to look at the sights, but it was confusing because the first 2 shots were on!... Had it not been for the 2 sighters coming up as hits, and the marker doing what they're supposed to be doing, We would have been on the board much sooner! - either way We reset and carried on. Not counting the misses I scored a respectable 46.3. This was also my first time shooting at 900 Yards!

As for the markers, we barely had a string of 2 shots the whole time at 900 and 1000 where we didn't have to send a message 4 to the butts, either they weren't paying attention or there weren't enough staff, but it was truly shocking, and from what we could understand not limited to our targets either! I've worked Stickledown butts, and although the occasional round got past us whilst talking down there, or just missed it... I don't even understand how it can be so bad as it was on Saturday!

Image Image

We moved back to 1000 (also my first time this far back!) and moved the sights up 5.25 mins and got straight into the ring and I converted my second sighter being a 5!
I dropped a magpie on one of my shots which pulled me down, and I ended up shooting 45.2 at 1000 for an aggregate of 182.11 - not bad for my first ever county team match, however, it was obviously not all me as it was a team event, and I had a wind coach at every step! - we came 4th out of the 8 of us in our team, and our team came 2nd out of the 4 (RAF A, RAF B, HWRA and Lloyds Bank).

More pictures available at http://www.dudleyrifleclub.co.uk/photos/?gid=6
karen

Re: RAF, Lloyds bank and HWRA @ Bisley 3,6,9 & 1000 yards 9/

#2 Post by karen »

Glad you enjoyed the match so much however we probably need to have little chat about match conditions sometime.

This particular match isn't really supposed to allow handloads and if you have misses they are supposed to count but as its your first time we'll forgive you and blame Harry instead :lol:

Hope you enjoyed the tea as well and hopefully you'll be winning the RAFTRC glasses next year

Are you doing the Imperial?

Love

Karen (RAFTRC Match Secretary)
Doz

#3 Post by Doz »

:lol: I think that's what my youngest offspring would call "busted"! Thanks for the report though smile2
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Your pictures are awesome, keep them coming!

:shakeshout:
TattooedGun

#5 Post by TattooedGun »

Oh nuts!! I knew that would happen! Eek! :p

Thanks for letting me off! :p haha! As I say, I would have clocked it had it not been for the false positives sent up by the markers :(

Didn't know about the handloads rule though! Will keep that in mind for next time!

Unfortunately I'm not an NRA member yet, so I can't enter the Imperial :( - I'm not actually sure when it is either, I'm away from 22nd June to 9th july, and even if I'm back in time, I'm not sure my boss would allow the time off :(

I'll do my level best to win those glasses next year! :) And also say hello next time! I generally find that I don't really talk to many new people outside the group I'm with on the firing point at these meets... So if you see me about (the tattooed guy! haha) then give me a poke and say helloooo! :D

Hope you had a good day too! :)

NOTE: The pictures that are square are mine (boing - instagram) - the others belong to Edmund Blok (www.edmundblok.com) who was shooting with us! :)
karen

#6 Post by karen »

You dont have to be an NRA member to enter the Imperial - just pay Meeting Membership.

Any chance you could just shoot the weekend? Three shoots each day?

There are plenty of people who can help you if its all a bit daunting but be brave and give it a go - you'll probably beat me! ****

Love

Karen
karen

#7 Post by karen »

Oh and about the handloads - some matches do allow them and some don't.

Only reason the RAF match doesn't is that the RAF have to use issued RG ammo - we don't mind the opposition using RUAG or HPS but handloads would really thrash the pants off us.

Just check with the match organisers first and it won't be a problem. Would hate you to get into trouble as some people might get a bit upset about it in certain competitions.

I was the blonde hassling Harry for money in case you were wondering - I didn't shoot but did turn up to tea!

Love

Karen
karen

#8 Post by karen »

Oh and if anyone else wants their club to come and shoot TR against the RAFTRC next year just let me know as a couple of clubs have recently dropped out of our annual matches.

Team sizes anywhere from 6 to 30!

Love

Karen
TattooedGun

#9 Post by TattooedGun »

karen wrote:You dont have to be an NRA member to enter the Imperial - just pay Meeting Membership.

Any chance you could just shoot the weekend? Three shoots each day?

There are plenty of people who can help you if its all a bit daunting but be brave and give it a go - you'll probably beat me! ****

Love

Karen
Which weekend is it the weekend shoot? I'd love to come do it...

Its also past the time limit for the entrances so theres late fees too now I suspect? How much am I looking to shoot for the weekend? (NRA RWS ammo included I presume?)
karen

#10 Post by karen »

Its Sat 14 and Sun 15.

Unfortunately there would be 10% late entry fees but you would have a really good time

It should be

Sat
Donegall 300x 2 + 10
Lovell 1000x 2 + 10
Daily Telegraph 500x 2 + 15

Sun
Duke of Cambridge 900x 2 + 10
Alexandra 600x 2 + 10
Daily Mail 500x 2 + 15

Total cost including late entry fees and ammo would be about £181 plus meeting membership but you can convert that to a full membership if you talk nicely to Nick or Heather.

Oh and you'll need lots of :cheers: money!

love

Karen