Leupold scope

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Col
Home club or Range: BASC Sevenside range, stalking etc

Leupold scope

#1 Post by Col »

Hi guys. Until a few months ago I owned a .22 which is scoped, A 357 marlin carbine and a .44 mag carbine,
none of which were scoped,and as their both underlever I would prefer to keep them that way.
But last summer I became a member of a full-bore club and so I bought a .308 remington 700 model.It is not a heavy
barreled target rifle but as I have only ever fired it over 100 yards I found it is very accurate.
The question I would like to ask is about the scope which was attached to the rifle when I purchased it. It is a
Leupold 1V , 2-9 32. Maybe these numbers mean something to you experienced members. What kind of range
and accuracy could I expect from this combination, assuming I do my part
We are the pilgrims master,We shall go always a little further
Ovenpaa

Re: Leupold scope

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Leupold make good scopes, I am not familiar with this one but would say it was a MkIV 3-9. The 3-9 means 3 to 9 times magnification and the 32 refers to the objective (Front) lens diameter. Perfectly capable of seeing a target at 1000 yards and 10X magnification was the military sniper standard for a few years and before that 3.bowl (My son uses a 10X on his rifle at 1000 yards) So 9X should be fine. I seem to remember the turret adjustment was quite coarse on the lower mag MkIV's but that is not a huge problem right now. Enjoy the 'scope and the rifle and get out to 600 yards ASAP to see how you do. I do warn you though, long range shooting is highly addictive.

EDIT - Does it look like this one?

http://www.nightoptics.com/pc/LeupoldMa ... Matte.html

If so it is half MOA turrets which means one click moves the point of impact a nominal half inch at 100 yards, or 3 inches at 600 yards.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#3 Post by Robin128 »

You can shoot to 200 at Severn tunnel with Richard Williams or Tony Morgan.

You can shoot 1000+ at Sennibridge. You will need competency cert for this MOD range. Do you already have this, covering your rifle?

I'll be getting back into it when the weather warms up.

Yes, it's me.

;)

Rob
Col
Home club or Range: BASC Sevenside range, stalking etc

#4 Post by Col »

Hi Rob, guessed it was you.I havent seen you at Tondu for a long time.
I am a member of the 7 tunnel range,also Senghenydd but I havent yet fired
any longer than 100 yards. I can fire 200 at Tunnel but they always seem to be on the 100
when I go there. I intend to go there on other times not only on club days.it only costs a
tenner and then if its quieter I will shoot the 200

Col
We are the pilgrims master,We shall go always a little further
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

Col,

They will go to 200 but usually later, after 2pm with Richard.

Tony will be away till weds this week.

How's the reloading going? What bullets/powder?

Not been rifle shooting due to bad back and helping to run this great forum.

Rob
Blu

#6 Post by Blu »

Col, hi there. Nothing wrong with Leupold's mate as I have them on most of my rifles in all shapes and sizes. The thing I like about them is the after market service, not to sure how that works in Europe but if there is ever a problem with a scope and it isn't down to you then Leupold will fix or replace it free of charge.

Also if you find that you don't like the reticle in the scope then not a problem, again don't know what it costs over there but a reticle change over here is $50. All my scopes with the exception of a couple for longer range shooting have the German #1 reticle. I just think with this reticle I get a better sight picture and they have never let me down yet. That after market service also includes target knob changes and a whole host of other services.

On another note and I don't know if folks are aware but Leupold recently bought Redfield scope makers, so anyone with a Redfield scope that has problems only needs to contact Leupold to get it fixed.

Blu :twisted:
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

The first time I looked through a Leupold it was awful, second one was very good and I always wondered why the first was so poor, I can only assume the glass needed cleaning or something adjusting or it had been used to club baby seals..

Based on my first encounter with Leupold I was quite anti American glass but these days I have peered through a few and would happily use Leupold and may even look for something very similar to yours for my next build as I do not want a high magnification. As blu says, support is supposed to be very good and compare the cost of a reticle change on my S&B which is in the order of 160 Euros versus 50 Dollars...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal