S Class shooting - a discussion

Sporting-Class. Everything you want to know about this new discipline including course of fire, competitions, rifles, regulations and how to get involved.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: S Class shooting - a discussion

#231 Post by dromia »

Just weighed my 6mm Musgrave with scope and bipod, came in at 10 1/2lbs.

Hope to get some more load development done on Thursday. Being trying Barnes Match Burners and so far they haven't given as small as or smaller groups than my Hornady soft points.

I suppose finesse is wasted on sowff effrikens. :grin:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
happycallis
Home club or Range: Bisley

#232 Post by happycallis »

Hey guys and gals,

Just finished reading this fancy having a go at this as F class is way out of my price range. Has anyone spoken to Bisley about taking this on as that's my local range.

Also as I'm new to this what so people recommend to do this. Would like it to be able to go upto a 1000 yards when it takes my fancy. Also what caliber would be best suited as I will be using off the shelf ammo to begin with and will eventually hand load my own stuff in the future. Budget wise I will be able to go upto 750 for everything.

Ta

Mat
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#233 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hi Mat, off the shelf means realistically .308 and/or 7,62x51 as it is going to be the most readily available at a sensible price plus get you to 1000 yards. A good alternative would be 6,5x55 however factory ammunition is not always available and is going to cost quite a bit more.

So you are probably looking for a .308 rifle with a Harris bipod and a medium power 'scope
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
happycallis

#234 Post by happycallis »

Thanks for the reply ovenpaa. Would something like this be ok?

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sal ... 1205723001

Its available in .308, 6.5x55 and .243

Out of curiosity would the .243 struggle to 1k?

Sorry for all the questions :oops:
Sandgroper

#235 Post by Sandgroper »

happycallis wrote:Hey guys and gals,

Just finished reading this fancy having a go at this as F class is way out of my price range. Has anyone spoken to Bisley about taking this on as that's my local range.

Also as I'm new to this what so people recommend to do this. Would like it to be able to go upto a 1000 yards when it takes my fancy. Also what caliber would be best suited as I will be using off the shelf ammo to begin with and will eventually hand load my own stuff in the future. Budget wise I will be able to go upto 750 for everything.

Ta

Mat
It really depends on what you fancy and what you're allowed to get on your FAC. As far as S-Class is concerned the world is your oyster as you'll only be taking it out to 600m.

However, as you've said you want to go to 1000 then I'd have to agree with Ovenpaa that off the shelf, the 308Win/7.62x51mm is a good choice. Another to consider is the 223 Rem with a tight twist barrel that can handle the heavier bullets. 243Win with the right ammunition/barrel twist etc is another to consider - getting something off the shelf is another matter. http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html
Last edited by Sandgroper on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
happycallis

#236 Post by happycallis »

Getting off the shelf ammo is not the end of the world. Was just trying to not to have to fork out for re loading equipment at the start. But if It means getting a rifle that will do both S class and has the ability to get to 1k then im up for it. Oh and BTW dont have my FAC yet, just finishing my probationary course at Bisley.
Ovenpaa

#237 Post by Ovenpaa »

An ideal would certainly be the 6,5x55 as it is a true 1000 yard round and probably the most widely used in Scandinavia for stalking to an ethically correct choice. I shoot a 6,5-284 which is not so different other than it tens to burn barrels reasonably quickly.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
happycallis

#238 Post by happycallis »

Im kinda swaying towards the .243 as I will rarely shoot at 1k but I wont discard the 6.5x55. Has anyone got an opinion on the Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter? They are easily within budget but is there anything else simular out there.
Ovenpaa

#239 Post by Ovenpaa »

I like the Pro Hunter however the magazine and bottom 'plastic' are not the nicest I have seen. The .243 is probably going to have a twist for lighter bullets which could easily take you over the 1000m/sec, 3280fps MV limit for some ranges and you may not be able to stabilise heavier bullets. Having said that the .243 is a nice cartridge to shoot and reasonable to reload.

What about the Howa 1500 as an alternative?
/d

Shed Journal
happycallis

#240 Post by happycallis »

Looked at the Howa 1500 and like it, they seem more readly available than the Pro Hunter. Mmmm choices, I have read about the .243 going well over the 1000m/sec limit on light bullets which did concern me a little but thought if the twist rate was correct I could use the heavier bullets to slow it down a little.