S Class shooting - a discussion

Sporting-Class. Everything you want to know about this new discipline including course of fire, competitions, rifles, regulations and how to get involved.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Re: S Class shooting - a discussion

#191 Post by Ovenpaa »

essexboy wrote:While I applaud anybody who tries to get a new shooting form off the ground I can see a few problems as the rules stand ( I know your still finalising the regs). My understanding is that your trying to keep costs down and make the class open to all :goodjob:
Knowing people like I do, someone will try to win at all costs, at the moment, if I have read the rules correctly, this rifle is possible to build and use.

Action Barnard sm repeater
Barrel LV 26" 6mm br chambering
jewell trigger
Carbon fibre stock
Br type rings
Leupold 12x scope

Total well over £3000.00
I would be happy to shoot against such a rifle as I assume it conforms to the regulations.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sandgroper

#192 Post by Sandgroper »

ovenpaa wrote:
essexboy wrote:While I applaud anybody who tries to get a new shooting form off the ground I can see a few problems as the rules stand ( I know your still finalising the regs). My understanding is that your trying to keep costs down and make the class open to all :goodjob:
Knowing people like I do, someone will try to win at all costs, at the moment, if I have read the rules correctly, this rifle is possible to build and use.

Action Barnard sm repeater
Barrel LV 26" 6mm br chambering
jewell trigger
Carbon fibre stock
Br type rings
Leupold 12x scope

Total well over £3000.00
I would be happy to shoot against such a rifle as I assume it conforms to the regulations.
Same here, but they'd probably stick out like a sore thumb! ;)

The question is, how much of an advantage would it really give them for that amount of money?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#193 Post by Ovenpaa »

It will be fascinating to see how a 6Kg rifle fed from a magazine with a 12x 'scope on a Harris bipod and no rear bag costing say GBP5k and one costing GBP1250 differ at the firing point. There are many factors to take into place such as wind reading, standard of reloading and even the ability to shoot and score under competition conditions. Early on I did say I expected the winning rifle to be something chambered in 6,5x47 or similar.

Only time will tell with this and what I will say is anyone that can accurately place shots on an F Class target at 400 yards on a blowy Sunday morning with a lightweight rifle regardless of cost is doing well.

:shakeshout:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#194 Post by M99 »

Would it not be worth seeing if we can get range time "somewhere" - and doing a "What is S class all about" day/morning - where the people who are interested can come along and see/shoot/talk etc?

Mike
Ovenpaa

#195 Post by Ovenpaa »

Great idea Mike, I would certainly like to shoot this with a few other interested parties instead of on my own against a load of F Open shooters.
/d

Shed Journal
Sandgroper

#196 Post by Sandgroper »

V good idea. Nice way to introduce the concept and to get the ball rolling. :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#197 Post by M99 »

I am sure we could get some Media interest too - from one of the magazines. (Careful invites!!)

Ideas on a venue? - Bisley would be an obvious choice, but then we would be limited to only having NRA members able to shoot. Diggle (More central - could we get a lane or 2??) Anywhere else we could hire a lane or 2 for the day?

Mike
Ovenpaa

#198 Post by Ovenpaa »

Bisley is going to be the easiest to organise however it is a far from ideal location. Diggle is pricey as they need to supply an RCO from memory. How is the new Midlands range progressing, anyone?
/d

Shed Journal
Gun Pimp

#199 Post by Gun Pimp »

ovenpaa wrote:Bisley is going to be the easiest to organise however it is a far from ideal location. Diggle is pricey as they need to supply an RCO from memory. How is the new Midlands range progressing, anyone?
Guys - if you wanted Diggle on a weekday, it would cost you £250 for the 600 yd range - I'd be happy to RO for free for you guys but you would have to take your turn in butts.

If you wanted to come one weekend, when we had a club F Class shoot on (see calendar on www.diggleranges.com) it's £15 per shooter. We could probably take 10 shooters on top of our normal entry - plus a few of our own members would be using 'S' Class spec rifles.

Vince
Ovenpaa

#200 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thank you for the offer Vince.

Do you think the S Class concept is something you would consider as a subject for a future Target Shooter article?
/d

Shed Journal