S Class shooting - a discussion

Sporting-Class. Everything you want to know about this new discipline including course of fire, competitions, rifles, regulations and how to get involved.

Moderator: dromia

spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

Re: S Class shooting - a discussion

#31 Post by spud »

ovenpaa wrote:I would suggest a CoF 2+15 and/or 2+20 and targets ICFRA standard F Class.
FCLASS.JPG
For the animal sized targets something similar, what are the standard animal targets scored at?
Thats not the Uk target sizes for F class Dave as at 300 yards the v bull would be in the region of 38-40 mm
ImageImage
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#32 Post by kennyc »

ovenpaa wrote:I would suggest a CoF 2+15 and/or 2+20 and targets ICFRA standard F Class.
FCLASS.JPG
For the animal sized targets something similar, what are the standard animal targets scored at?
if I understand you correctly then thats 2 sighters and then 15/20 shots over a period (of?) thats going to get light sporter barrels pretty hot ;) and if its going to be based on sporting practice then 6-9 X mag would be nearer to the mark :P
Last edited by kennyc on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

#33 Post by spud »

kennyc wrote:
FCLASS.JPG
if I understand you correctly then thats 2 sighters and then 15/20 shots over a period (of?) thats going to get light sporter barrels pretty hot ;)
usually 45 secs for each shot but weve tried string shooting and its all over in 3 1/2 mins
ImageImage
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#34 Post by Sandgroper »

ovenpaa wrote: For the animal sized targets something similar, what are the standard animal targets scored at?
I just checked the life sized White tailed deer targets I have and they have two kill zones - one 2 inch and one 4 inch. The rabbit has a 1 inch kill zone. These are hunting practice targets, not scoring.

I'll see if I have any with scoring on them.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#35 Post by TattooedGun »

I'd be interested in this also... however, i'm in the camp of "no rear bags" - I don't see the point, and due to the intended nature of the firearms and the spirit of the competition (all about the shooter, not the equipment) - a rear bag seems like additional handicapping where its not needed... you wouldnt carry a rear bag out stalking, would you? any????
Dougan

#36 Post by Dougan »

I was looking at the Phoenix scores - and having seen the various rifle set-ups there, was wondering about a handicap system?

For example:

1 point per detail deducted for every 1kg over 5kg (total rifle/pod/scope weight)

1 point for every 1" over standard (to be decided) bipod width.

1 point for each extra magnification over 12x on the scope.

5 points for using a rear-bag.

Someone who knows a bit about F/TR and statistics could get the numbers right - in a way that each shooter could weigh up the pros and cons of a set-up, according to their strengths/weaknesses, but ultimately encourage the use of the lightest and simplest set-up.....
John25

#37 Post by John25 »

We are not talking about a world championships here guys, if I have Ovenpaa right, he wants to shoot bog standard sporting and service type rifles, with just a bipod.

A friendly 'competition' without the trappings. He mentioned 'honesty'

We shoot for our own satisfaction, if someone wants to 'cheat' by using heavy barrel, and other 'tweaks' let him/her get on with it.

Rules means judges/scritineers, protests, animosity; do we want that?

Why not let it evolve and see where it goes?

:cheers:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Dougan

#38 Post by Dougan »

John25 wrote:Rules means judges/scritineers, protests, animosity; do we want that?
Not always - one of my clubs uses handicaps for most of the cups; it spreads the silverware around the club, and even gives the 'newbies' a chance....

Anyway it was just a thought...I like the idea of a sporter/lite F class :good:
John25

#39 Post by John25 »

Me too, i'm still thinking of putting some glass on my number five!

:lol:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#40 Post by TattooedGun »

One thing I was thinking... We don't have F-Class targets at my local range (Kingsbury)... so what would happen in this situation? We only have the "old boys" TR sized targets...