S Class shooting - a discussion

Sporting-Class. Everything you want to know about this new discipline including course of fire, competitions, rifles, regulations and how to get involved.

Moderator: dromia

Gun Pimp

Re: S Class shooting - a discussion

#201 Post by Gun Pimp »

ovenpaa wrote:Thank you for the offer Vince.

Do you think the S Class concept is something you would consider as a subject for a future Target Shooter article?
If it gets off the ground - yes, as similar classes have been talked about on US forums.

The initial (American) concept of F/TR was to include ordinary stuff like the Remmy PSS. I attended the first US F Class Nationals at Butner in 2004 and they included the F/TR Class for the first time - even the local police guys turned up with their Remmys! But, it's difficult to stop the Class developing - and I see someone on the forum has already spec'd a fantasy £3000 rifle for S Class!

Many sports have tried to limit equipment costs but it's very difficult - even MotoGP are trying with the CRT (Claiming Rule Team) bikes. Perhaps S Class could do this - you have to be prepared to sell your rifle for £1000! I do like the 'no sighters' rule though.

Incidentally, there was an absolutely standard Remington VSS being shot in the Europeans.

At 900 yds last week at Diggle we had 30 shooters - three or four top F/TR League shooters, right down to a guy with a sporterised No.4 with 12X scope shooting milsurp - and everything in between. Lowest score was a 56 and the highest F/TR a 92. Several rifles would have qualified for S Class.

As we've said many times - you DO NOT need fancy kit to shoot F Class but, if you shoot with the GB F Class League, you will be up against the World's best F Class shooters at every match.
tisme

#202 Post by tisme »

Well done guys trying to get this off the ground, I think its a great idea. I would be interested in having a go if it gets up and running. I also know a few people who hunt/stalk that might like to have a go (depending on where/when)

Pete
honsu
Home club or Range: Wednesburey Marksmen

#203 Post by honsu »

ovenpaa wrote:Bisley is going to be the easiest to organise however it is a far from ideal location. Diggle is pricey as they need to supply an RCO from memory. How is the new Midlands range progressing, anyone?
I would also like to now about this new range in the midlands ?

I have read this thread today from page 1 to 21 and think this is a great idea :cheers:
got me thinking now of getting in to full bore shooting sign01

:flag5: bangbang zzzzom zzzzom
Craig&Vicki
Ovenpaa

#204 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am not really sure how far the range has progressed or even if it has gone past the planning stage yet, does anyone have any additional information on it?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#205 Post by breacher »

If you have a rifle which does not lend itself to a harris bipod due to non floating barrel - can you use a front rest instead ? One of those little tripod things ? Or even a front bean bag ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Ovenpaa

#206 Post by Ovenpaa »

Breacher, welcome to the forum.

That is a very good question indeed and not one that has been considered or discussed. I personally see no reason why a bean bag could not be used however I think it would need to be just that, a bean bag as opposed to a huge formed bag filled with heavy sand. Possibly the way to keep things sane would be to say the bag should be capable of fitting in a normal coat pocket, easily deformable and included in the all up weight of the rifle and 'scope.

The pocket sized bit being to keep things in the spirit of the lightweight class where you walk to the firing point with a rifle and shoot. Anything you need being in your pockets or similar.

How does that sound? Does anyone else have a view on this?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#207 Post by breacher »

I would need one bigger than my pocket :o

I can fit a little camera tripod in my pocket ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Ovenpaa

#208 Post by Ovenpaa »

breacher wrote:I would need one bigger than my pocket :o

I can fit a little camera tripod in my pocket ?
Well a camera type tripod (Is that one of the ones with the cordura type cup on the top) would offer no real advantage over a bipod that I can think of, so as long as it stays within weight...

Is this for the SVD?
/d

Shed Journal
Sandgroper

#209 Post by Sandgroper »

My answer would be no to a bean bag (and to a tripod for that matter) - it's unlikely you would use one when stalking and I see no reason why you can't use a harris type bipod.

My back up S-class rifle - Rossi break barrel- is not free floated and still has a harris type bipod.

In my eyes this is the thin edge of the wedge! :bad:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#210 Post by M99 »

Sandgroper wrote:My answer would be no to a bean bag (and to a tripod for that matter) - it's unlikely you would use one when stalking and I see no reason why you can't use a harris type bipod.

My back up S-class rifle - Rossi break barrel- is not free floated and still has a harris type bipod.

In my eyes this is the thin edge of the wedge! :bad:
Whilst I would not use a bean bag stalking I would and do use my rucksack and or sticks. Mind cant use sticks prone.