S Class shooting - a discussion

Sporting-Class. Everything you want to know about this new discipline including course of fire, competitions, rifles, regulations and how to get involved.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: S Class shooting - a discussion

#241 Post by Ovenpaa »

Whoowhoop has been experimenting with range legal .243 for 600 yards at Bisley with lighter bullets however from memory accuracy did fall off when velocity was scrubbed.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
whoowhoop

#242 Post by whoowhoop »

Whoo_whoop's experimentation ran into difficulty when he managed to bulge the shoulders on his reloads somehow.
And not notice (poor technique), until on the firing point. :cool2: :cool2:
Early days yet, though. Still got to find the cause.
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
happycallis
Home club or Range: Bisley

#243 Post by happycallis »

Be interesting to see your results whoowhoop as its one of my caliber options
Sandgroper

#244 Post by Sandgroper »

happycallis wrote:Thanks for the reply ovenpaa. Would something like this be ok?

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sal ... 1205723001

Its available in .308, 6.5x55 and .243

Out of curiosity would the .243 struggle to 1k?

Sorry for all the questions :oops:
But equally there's a 243 for £75! http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sal ... 6153251001

Why break the bank, when you don't have to?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
happycallis
Home club or Range: Bisley

#245 Post by happycallis »

Very true mate, absolute bargin that. Just want to get this probationary stuff out the way so I can go shopping :)
vasbyt.skollie
Home club or Range: Romsey Shooting Club/NRA

#246 Post by vasbyt.skollie »

ovenpaa wrote:I like the Pro Hunter however the magazine and bottom 'plastic' are not the nicest I have seen. The .243 is probably going to have a twist for lighter bullets which could easily take you over the 1000m/sec, 3280fps MV limit for some ranges and you may not be able to stabilise heavier bullets. Having said that the .243 is a nice cartridge to shoot and reasonable to reload.

What about the Howa 1500 as an alternative?
Hi David and Christal,

This is my first post on the forum party2 :goodjob:

Introductions, I am the souff efffrikan you met at the Phoenix ( .223 comparator got lost in the post ).

I have read this thread from start to finish and like the idea of s class, apart from trigger pull weight ( more of this in a little bit ).

I was out on Tuesday this week shooting a standard Howa 1500 in .243 with 24" 1:10 barrel and Harris fixed bipod on laminate stock and third eye tactical moderator. We started the morning session @800yrds falling back to 900. My load is 43gr of Elcho17 behind a 90gr Berger BT loaded 10thou off the lands, this in my rifle gives me 3250fps. I had two sighters then grouped the next 15. 8 of these were in the v-bull, 4 in the 5 ring and 3 in the 4. We then fell back to 900. I used by drop chart from strelok dialled in and first shot.......v-bull, I kid you not wtfwtf I was surprised at this as I didn't move the windage from 800. The wind started to pick up a little as well... It grouped almost the same @900. In the pm we did 1000yrds falling back to 1100. When I pulled out my .243 at the 1000yrd firing point the group I was with laughed at me saying that the pikey rifle will struggle at this range.... well my mate was shooting his 6mmBRX and his 6.5x47 the little .243 out shot his BRX and was on par with his 6.5, the rest were on .308's and it smashed them as well. I suppose the .308's were only doing 2800fps so were handicapped to the .243 doing 450fps more. On the 1100yrd f/point I dialled in elevation and my mate fired before me and was in the 2 ring with his 6.5. I looked at him and said is that all ya got. My first shot, I thought I pulled it sign01 , went into the exact center of the v-bull. Silence fell over the group as the target came back up, well I was gobsmacked to say the least, my mate called me the work of satan, shooting satans own caliber, dressed back and sulked for the rest of the day. Ps, his 6.5 has a walther 1:8 match barrel which cost him a pretty penny, my .243 cost me £340.

Now to the trigger statement. When I picked up this new to me Howa .243 the trigger was superb and on my mates trigger pull came in at 1lb4oz, this is the standard Howa trigger unit and has not been messed with by me or the original owner( I asked him about the trigger when I bought it and he said don't fix what ain't broke and he didn't adjust it, it's as delivered). So why mess with increasing trigger pull to conform, I would say if its a standard trigger as supplied by OEM then it should be run as is.

Pic of my rig
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z40 ... /image.jpg

Cheers

Vasbyt
Ovenpaa

#247 Post by Ovenpaa »

Welcome to the forum Vasbyt, it sounds like you had some superb shooting on the day and pushing a .243 to 1100 yards must be huge fun, I know Christel likes nothing more than shooting her 22C at 1000 & 1200.

I do remember you because the Royal Mail lost the comparator, we had a couple of weeks where a few things got lost and it was annoying. We met a load of Saffies at the Phoenix, they seemed to migrate over to us and at one point I think we had the vast majority of the South African GR team on the stand.

Triggers, I am open to suggestions, Sandgroper any views on this?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Hauptman

#248 Post by Hauptman »

Vasbyt is the one with the silly hat................. :shakeshout:

H/man
Attachments
Vasbyt Skollie.jpg
vasbyt.skollie
Home club or Range: Romsey Shooting Club/NRA

#249 Post by vasbyt.skollie »

Hauptman wrote:Vasbyt is the one with the silly hat................. :shakeshout:

H/man
Hello Pete,

Less of the silly hat troutslapping. Cheers dude. It was a really good day out with a great bunch of lads and lass. bangbang

Vasbyt
Sandgroper

#250 Post by Sandgroper »

ovenpaa wrote:
Triggers, I am open to suggestions, Sandgroper any views on this?
I thought we had decided as long as it's safe (or the shooter is), we weren't going be too picky.

Edit: Thought so - Revision 4 states: Triggers are now free as long as they are safe.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.