Laser boresighting - any use?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

Laser boresighting - any use?

#1 Post by meles meles »

There appear to be several reasonably priced laser bore sighting systems currently available: some are a probe that that slides into a barrel, others cartridges containing a laser that is chambered like an ordinary cartridge. Have any of you oomans used them, and do you recommend them? I can imagine they are useful for checking azimuth, but given that a projectile (neglecting air resistance) has a parabolic trajectory I'm not sure how useful they are for range...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Gun Pimp

Re: Laser boresighting - any use?

#2 Post by Gun Pimp »

Useful if for some reason you can't bore-sight - i.e lever-action rifles but, bore-sighting is quicker, more accurate and free!
Vince
DaveT

#3 Post by DaveT »

Gun Pimp wrote:Useful if for some reason you can't bore-sight - i.e lever-action rifles but, bore-sighting is quicker, more accurate and free!
Vince
Totally agree! Tried one but got different results each time and nowhere near as good as bore-sighting.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I had one as well and could never get a reasonable result from it so it went on eBlag. I much prefer to level the 'scope and then bore sight by eye at around the 400-600 mark, not an option with an under-lever but works for others
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

Hmm, the sight and the bore may be co-incident at the set range, but surely the bullet goes where gravity dictates?
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Bore and laser sights are best suited for windage only as the distance where point of aim and point of impact meet is usually too far out to allow sight of the laser spot however the reflective bands on traffic cones work well as a sighting mark...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
artiglio

#7 Post by artiglio »

I use one when setting up my chrono, boresight on the target , put in the laser, set up chrono using a bit of paper to see the dot. Ensures you're shooting through center at right height and saves a couple of minutes.

Regards phil
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

artiglio wrote:I use one when setting up my chrono, boresight on the target , put in the laser, set up chrono using a bit of paper to see the dot. Ensures you're shooting through center at right height and saves a couple of minutes.
OK. I will say it before anyone else does, it also saves a couple of Chronos..... :oops:
/d

Shed Journal
DaveT

#9 Post by DaveT »

Any sort of sighting-in aid is obviously only to get you 'on paper' in preparation for proper zeroing..... its not intended to simulate bullet drop in any way.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

ovenpaa wrote: not an option with an under-lever but works for others

You can bore-sight a Marlin as the bolt comes completely out...... ;)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!