GSG StG44

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

huntervixen
Home club or Range: The Severn Side Range

Re: GSG StG44

#41 Post by huntervixen »

Morning all,

Just read the the GSG STG 44 review in Gun Mart, looks like a very big step in the right direction to me, construction and materials look much improved over there previous offerings.

It is a shame they stopped short of fitting a solid barrel though, I suppose it keeps the manufacturing (and therefore retail) price down as this is the most expensive component on any firearm.

All in all, well done GSG, I could be tempted....unlike the previous GSG rimfire/airsoft frankenrifle, I know of a few GSG-5's that have "structural issues", very poor, I mean come on, it hardly speaks of solid German engineering does it!!

Cheap is one thing, but I would expect a firearm to remain serviceable for more than 4 years, thats just very bad value for money indeed.

I have owned my Spikes Tactical for 4 years this month, thousands of rounds later, it's still as good as the day I bought it.
Two margarines .... is there anything worse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4cEocL5kI
Sim G

#42 Post by Sim G »

How many GSG5's have you had?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
huntervixen

#43 Post by huntervixen »

Afternoon Sim,

I am not starting a "two page argument" with you, as indeed you turned my SA80 thread into, I think you just like arguing don't you :lol: :lol:

I know quite a few people with GSG's, some to be fair seem to be ok, but most seem ready for the bin, curiously the later manufactured examples seem better, I wonder if changes in materials were specified?

The main point being, STG44.....VERY BIG IMPROVEMENT to be applauded, don't you think?
Two margarines .... is there anything worse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4cEocL5kI
Sim G

#44 Post by Sim G »

Never seen the GSG Stg44.

I do have a Gsg5 though. One of the very first and had it about 5/6 years. Had somewhere around 12000 rounds through it....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
huntervixen

#45 Post by huntervixen »

Hi Sim,

It really looks rather good, I have yet to handle and shoot an example though, but read the Gun Mart review, it certainly ticks a lot of boxes for me!

Got to get my hands on one and have a go with it.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#46 Post by channel12 »

mikeb wrote:I wonder if the spring in the butt goes 'boing' everytime you shoot it like the real ones! ;-)

MikeyB
I remember the one I shot made a lovely clanking noise as the bolt cycled. Really nice to shoot with hardly any recoil and we were shooting steel case ammo head stamped 1944. Happy days before the S/A ban.

As an old bloke what is with all these .22 lookalikes/clones? Or more precisely why do people get so excited by die cast alloy / plastic replicas ?
raybrown53
Home club or Range: Corinium Rifle Range / WNSC

#47 Post by raybrown53 »

channel12 wrote:
mikeb wrote:I wonder if the spring in the butt goes 'boing' everytime you shoot it like the real ones! ;-)

MikeyB
I remember the one I shot made a lovely clanking noise as the bolt cycled. Really nice to shoot with hardly any recoil and we were shooting steel case ammo head stamped 1944. Happy days before the S/A ban.

As an old bloke what is with all these .22 lookalikes/clones? Or more precisely why do people get so excited by die cast alloy / plastic replicas ?
As a not so old bloke the .22 clones and training rifles are the closest most of us will get to say a centre fire SA since the ban on them. I think that's why people like them and rave about them.
When in doubt C4
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#48 Post by Zilberbak »

Having picked up the display GSG Stg44 today at the Shooting Show today I just had to have one and bought one albeit won't get my hands on it until next week.

Yes, l would like a real one but cost and restrictive legislation puts a stop on it all the time, beggars can't be choosers in this day and age.

I would love a full blown AR15 but make do with Lantac Raven (as close as a 22 gets), l would like an FN Scar but make do with a ISSC Mk22.

The great thing is l can drive 15 mins to my club and shoot at 20 indoors, or 20, 25, or 50 outdoors with these for the fraction of the cost.

Big bang sticks cost big bucks to run so there is a definite requirement for these baby clones.

Mind you l did manage to pick up a Pietta 1851 Colt Navy for 75 quid as well.
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
David-mauser
Home club or Range: Carreg Ranges, Llandyfan, Wales

#49 Post by David-mauser »

huntervixen wrote: I suppose it keeps the manufacturing (and therefore retail) price down
It’s a very sad fact of life but after more years in business than I care to remember I can categorically state that;
Manufacturing cost is whatever it is but it bears little relationship to the retail price which is always set at the maximum that the seller’s market will bear. ;)
LeighC
Home club or Range: BM&BLGC, Chippenham RPC

#50 Post by LeighC »

Handled one at the shooting show yesterday and I'm impressed with the size and weight of it, variation going in tomorrow.....
If guns kill people, then spoons make you fat!

.22 GSG5-SD; .22 GSG MP40; .22 GSG Stg 44; .303 1917 SMLE; .303 1944 No.5; 7.62 Mosin Nagant; 30-06 M1917 Eddystone; 7.5 MAS 36; 7.62 Mauser K98; 12g Beretta 686; 12g Ugartechea; 28g Yildiz