Tactical/FTR Rifle Project

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Tactical/FTR Rifle Project

#1 Post by Mike357 »

I would love to have a dedicated Tactical and FTR rifles but there is no way I can afford it.

I am going to have to have a jack of all trades type set up. My questions are -

1. I can get a blueprinted Rem 700 action for circa £650. Is this a reasonable starting point or is it worth the extra £300 ish for a custom action or perhaps a Savage barreled action?
2.What is a good compromise for barrel length?
3.Should I go for a laminate stock which is more FTR or is a McMillan/Robertson a better option?

Finally, I might have a sniff at a Tikka M95 (the one with the wooden target stock and the two rails on it). Is this a good, reliable and accurate action to use as a base? Might have trouble with a stock though?

Looking forward to your views.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Tactical/FTR Rifle Project

#2 Post by Christel »

IMHO you need to spend as much as you can on the action.

Barrel length, as long as you can afford and that will fit in your cabinet.

Stock is down to your preference, one does not shoot better than the other.
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

Single feed or mag?
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#4 Post by Mike357 »

Prefer mag fed but I'd be happy reloading fast for tactical comps if there were accuracy benefits.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

If the budget will stretch far enough my (biased) choice would be a Barnard P Action, they are single feed, very simple and robust. Add a TrueFlite barrel - both are from New Zealand and are readily available over here. I have watched people shoot single feed in McQueens comps as well.

Stock is your choice, for F/TR you will need to shoot from a bipod and you can choose either a laminate of composite, laminate is going to be heavier so take this into consideration when you add the scope rings and rail as F/TR has a weight limit you must not exceed. Osprey Rifles stock Barnard and TF and we have used them a couple of times, they also stock the Savage 12 F Class rifle.

Alternatively you could look at one of the many tactical offerings, Mik at Dolphin does a cracking tactical look repeater based on the Accuracy International AICS system. Be warned the stock is not for everyone though

20series on this forum runs a Rem700 Action and has just had a longer TF barrel fitted and Dangermouse is having a longer Border barrel fitted to his Rem 700 at the moment. Both will be shooting F/Tr next year.

Barrel length needs to be at least 30.5" and if you can squeeze longer into your cabinet then go for it.

'Scope ideally should be 24X to 36X magnification but I shoot to 1200 with a 16X on my 7.62X51 so it can be done. Sightron make some well priced 'scopes and they are quite light as well. Also take a good look at used glass, it is a worthwhile option.

Finally the Tikka M95, do you mean the M595? In the back of my mind is something about re-barrelling them, not sure if it was good or bad! If it is the M595 with target stock I would rip your arm off for the stock so there is another option! (Actually I would love the complete rifle)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

Mike,

I would suggest having as detailed a look as you can at the courses of fire for the tactical matches you will be shooting.

It is a bit of a see saw situation, the more practical and multi position work, the shorter you will want the barrel.
The more F Class and prone work, the longer the barrel can be.

If the courses of fire have stages that require magazines of various amounts, then you will probably need a magazine fed action.
McQueens is easily shot single feed and I have a feeling that rounds should not be magazine loaded for F Class - but a magazine can be fitted.

(No muzzle breaks or moderators allowed in F Class)

There are a number of UK Made actions on the market. Fox has the GBR and Roger at South Yorkshire has his own, just made up.

Keep an eye out for second hand Sako TRG rifles, capable of good club F Class results and seriously capable tactical rifles,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Mike357

#7 Post by Mike357 »

I had thought about the Osprey Rifles Savage F/TR or even their Custom barelled action but they are single feed. Safe to say that Tactical matches will likely be McQueens I think.

Ovenpaa, my mistake, I think it is a M595 in the target stock. I have first shout if it comes up for sale and shouldn't be over £500. Just wonder what he weight would be?

Thanks for all the info and keep it coming.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

The M595 weighs in at around 4.1kgs so rather light for F/TR.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
The Gun Pimp

#9 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Mike,
The Barnard S action is in my opinion better than the P - and you can order it mag fed - the SM with any bolt/port configuration and it's not bad money - contact Brian Fox. Takes the HS Precision ten round mag.

Look what Russ Simmonds shoots in F/TR and he's World & European Champion - a Barnard S in a Major Plaster stock. Not my favourite stock but it was designed as a tactical stock and it works great for Russell in F Class.

I have the Barnard SM in a Barnard 07 stock - if you don't like the Major Plaster - buy a barrelled-action of Foxy and put it together yourself. A 30in. barrel is ideal but would look a bit long on a tactical rig but you could get away with 28 inches.

Cheers
Vince
woody_rod

#10 Post by woody_rod »

Barnard is not the only action in the world. I could name 20 that would do the same job.