What caliber for a gallery rifle?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

phaedra1106

Re: What caliber for a gallery rifle?

#11 Post by phaedra1106 »

My reloading costs for the .44 are £24/100 using 200gr lead or £34/100 using 200gr plated. I picked up 500 Starline cases for £60 on my last trip to the U.S., the PPU cases I bought over here were starting to split after a couple of reloads using a medium load of 5.4gr of Titegroup. Both of my .44s will do a raggy single hole at 25yds if I do my part.

Just been looking at prices and Rimfire Magic are still listing the 1894 .44 20" barrel @ £679, whether they have stock or not I don't know, certainly didn't have anything when I asked last year. Maybe I should put mine on Guntrader and see what it fetches, it has a Weaver rail fitted and a Barska 6.5-24x50 scope.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#12 Post by the running man »

264280_212564272120615_123035351073508_607166_3896355_n.jpg
P1010733.jpg
this is me shooting at bisley and derby,with my marlin in .45 lc,after years of practice and concentration i made both the gb and england gallery rifle team this year ,i choose a marlin becase its what everyone uses,they do say the best way to shoot a winchester is to sell it and buy a marlin,no team member i know uses anything but............dm is right that the new build quality is rubbish with many many complaints about them.........the .44/357 mix is about 50/50 and i only know one other guy with .45 i guess i just wanted to be diffrent!! it has helped me on scoring sometimes!! as for the reloading issue,i disagree,decent .22 is getting dear,the combination of gm3 and bulk buy bullets and primers at the phoenix makes things quite agreeable......if uve any questions ile be happy to try and help....below is me with my .22 rude fat dog,white! its the new black!!!
301692_147728245311194_100002220594287_282818_6210941_n.jpg
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#13 Post by M99 »

How about an Armalon 9mm bolt action based on the Enfield?

I'm in the market for one having shot a friends recently - great bit of kit for GR

Mike
Dangermouse

#14 Post by Dangermouse »

Lovely rifles, very expensive and only good for plinking, they are not fast enough for competition,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#15 Post by the running man »

The orig post was which caliber for gr,well in retrospect I suspect u have a .22 semi auto,I would use it in comps and see how u get on,u may not like having to pik out ure target out of a row of 20! Or having a jam on the line.......but u may like other aspects of it,u may find u are better at some comps than others.....from this experience you should gain advice on the right caliber for you,where to source both parts and ammo,and reaonably priced rifles.....guntrader is not the only media on the internet for buying a gun....one only need click onto the links part of a clubs website to find links to other clubs websites,most will have a for sale section on it......try fdpc frome and district pistol club,they have a good stock of other clubs on their links page!
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#16 Post by Mike357 »

It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Cad Monkey
Home club or Range: KLSM & Grove

#17 Post by Cad Monkey »

Watcher, what about 30M1. It's a very versatile calibre which can be used at short range (from 20 yards) using lead bullets and out to 400 yards using FMJ's. Armalon and Southern Gun both produce rifles in this flavour, I own a SGC but my friend has a Armalon and there both great products that perform very well at the stated distances. Just food for thought.
"All marriages are happy. It's living together afterwards that is difficult."
DanTheMan
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#18 Post by DanTheMan »

Dangermouse wrote:Lovely rifles, very expensive and only good for plinking, they are not fast enough for competition,

DM
Hows about the 9mm lever release then, surely the fastest around and the cheapest to reload (and cheapest factory ammo)
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#19 Post by mr smith »

DanTheMan wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:Lovely rifles, very expensive and only good for plinking, they are not fast enough for competition,

DM
Hows about the 9mm lever release then, surely the fastest around and the cheapest to reload (and cheapest factory ammo)

And going by some of the threads not without there own problems.