X-Craft found?

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

Re: X-Craft found?

#21 Post by bobbob »

Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Jenks

#22 Post by Jenks »

bobbob..
Thanks for posting that. I have just found out from a mutual friend that the ladies maiden name was Cameron. There is most definitely a likeness to the chap in the piece you posted. Also I recall seeing a little water colour of a midget submarine in what looked like a Loch or Fiord in the ladies house.
Did you notice in the write up of Acting Leading Seaman Magennis VC that he died in 'needy circumstances' I find that very sad.

Jenks
Polchraine

#23 Post by Polchraine »

Jenks wrote:bobbob..
Thanks for posting that. I have just found out from a mutual friend that the ladies maiden name was Cameron. There is most definitely a likeness to the chap in the piece you posted. Also I recall seeing a little water colour of a midget submarine in what looked like a Loch or Fiord in the ladies house.
Did you notice in the write up of Acting Leading Seaman Magennis VC that he died in 'needy circumstances' I find that very sad.

Jenks
Magennis was almost "hated" by both his community and the local authorities. He was a Catholic serving in the British Royal Navy! The local council put up an almost invisible plaque and probably other Catholics turned against him as he was a "traitor".

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Jenks

#24 Post by Jenks »

Polchraine wrote:
Jenks wrote:bobbob..

Jenks
Magennis was almost "hated" by both his community and the local authorities. He was a Catholic serving in the British Royal Navy! The local council put up an almost invisible plaque and probably other Catholics turned against him as he was a "traitor".
Polchraine..

Further to your post above.. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/1999/oct/09/johnmullin

What sad story a truly brave man. He derserved better.

Jenks
ChrisW

#25 Post by ChrisW »

christel wrote:http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 40918.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_class_submarine

Only 20 completed. Anyone on here seen the one at Aberlady bay?
Hello Christel
There are in fact two XT submarines in Aberlay bay. They are far far out in the bay, very close to the low tide mark and are only safe to visit an hour either side of low tide. Most of the hulls are gone, but the ribs and some of the internals and steering gear are still visible.

Here is a link to some photos I took of the XT craft a couple of years ago - http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7826
Christel
Site Admin

#26 Post by Christel »

Didn't know there were two, they look like animal remains. Nor did I know they were used as training targets. My initial reaction when I saw the picture of the one I thought was there was that it was people taking souvenirs and the salt water of course.

The picture of the water freezing, at first I thought the lines were sand worms.

Lovely pictures, thank you for that. :grin:
ChrisW

#27 Post by ChrisW »

You are very welcome … if only you knew a man with a shed who could restore an XT for you?
Ovenpaa

#28 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good pictures Chris, I cringe when I see such pictures, these things are part of our heritage.

It is strange to see the sea frozen over. Many years ago I was walking by a frozen Fjord with Christel and the wolf, I was throwing stones for the dog and of course skipped one out across the Fjord which the wolf went for and promptly went through the ice. Oops, but she surfaced again and crashed her way back to us, with the stone of course!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#29 Post by Christel »

I do know a man with a shed...no room for one of those though :lol:

Nice thought.