SGC 9mm & Henry Big Boy .44 - Bad Morning :(

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

jonseyi

Re: SGC 9mm & Henry Big Boy .44 - Bad Morning :(

#61 Post by jonseyi »

More bolt pics
Attachments
P1000297.JPG
toffe wrapper

#62 Post by toffe wrapper »

Jonseyi
Thank you for the pics looks like the same mod I did myself, I took less of the bit that strips the round out the mag but a litttle more angle on the bit by the extractor
I am sure if you mod the mag so it lets the round pop up sooner, and leave them loaded to soften the springs for a week you will be sorted.
I gave mine a good clean today and now after 400 rounds the bolt runs smoother back and forth and does not seam to stick when it was new.
I have solved the safety catch being under the trigger finger when on fire by taking it off filing the under side so it can be refitted 90 degress anti clock wise so when it is under the finger it is on safe and pushed forward with the pointer back is fire.

TW
phaedra1106

#63 Post by phaedra1106 »

toffe wrapper wrote:I have solved the safety catch being under the trigger finger when on fire by taking it off filing the under side so it can be refitted 90 degress anti clock wise so when it is under the finger it is on safe and pushed forward with the pointer back is fire
I'll have to have a look at doing that to mine, I have v/large hands and it does get in the way. If we could have the release lever pointing the other way or at 45deg. that would be even better! smile2
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
toffe wrapper

#64 Post by toffe wrapper »

I am thinking along the lines of a hanger off the existing leaver to extend it down nearer the thumb. Maybe drill a hole for a bolt to go through then have a shoe on the end of the bolt. But it may need to piviot to compensate for the change in angle as it is depressed.

TW
jonseyi

#65 Post by jonseyi »

The pain in the backside I have(part from the feed issue) is the position of the mag release, its easy to catch it and drop the mag out half way through a shoot!!
toffe wrapper

#66 Post by toffe wrapper »

Solved that with a u shape of plastic about 10mm thick slight taper to rear and filed out in middle to bridge the catch stuck on with HD double sided tape. I used to catch it with my wrist. I May get it made out of metal and screwed into frame. I also have a front handle now that keeps the hand well away from the release.

TW
jonseyi

#67 Post by jonseyi »

Can you post some photos of it

Cheers
Ian
toffe wrapper

#68 Post by toffe wrapper »

Try this pic should be able to zoom in plastic was red (beggers cant be chosers) black marker to colour it.

TW
Attachments
Img_0203.jpg
jonseyi

#69 Post by jonseyi »

Thanks for the photo,Might give it a go, went down the club last night to try mine again, took the lips back on the mag, strange findings really. First round of my remi ammo jammed, tried some of my mates re load (125grn lead) and that jammed, tried his 115grn lead and that fed no problems, went back to the remi and fed no problem(the gun has warmed up now) went for a brew, came back to it with the remi and first one jammed again, time to polish the bits around the chamber now i think and see about changing ammo, although I shouldn't have to as it should feed whatever you use ****
Sim G

#70 Post by Sim G »

jonseyi wrote: although I shouldn't have to as it should feed whatever you use ****

Exactly. When this operating system was first touted by Clarke, it was a subject of great speculation and anticipation. Very little news or information came along, hence it's nickname in development, "The Unicorn". A mythical creature that likely never, or will exist.....

So along it comes. And it appears very hurridly. Which is not like Clarke at all. The first one's drag some people through the dirt that is Section 5 and some lost a lot of money. Clarke shrugged his shoulders. Likewise, I can't imagine the "testing" undergone before each gun leaves him as being very thorough. It can't be.

There in lies the crux of the whole debacle. Clarke gave the UK shooting scene something to get excited about. The inovation is really quite outstanding. Unfortunately, it seems that the overall design and manufacture leaves a lot to be desired. Very much like his first lever action. Inovative beyond belief, but poor in execution.

There will be those that do end up with one that does work. There may even be one that works without a series of modifications (removing metal from the bolt by rounding all the edges requires a reproof if sold on). But those that tick without problems are so rare they really are "Unicorn $hit".....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!