Viht powder

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Mr_Logic

Viht powder

#1 Post by Mr_Logic »

Here's a question... I've been reloading the target stuff for a few years now, along with hunting ammo as well. I tend to shoot hodgdon powder - mostly it's very accurate and the extreme line means I don't have to worry too much about difference from Winter to Summer in terms of pressure.

However, as I talk to more and more people in the target world, it seems clear that most people seem to shoot Viht powder, either 140 or 540, above pretty much everything else. Why is this? I've found 140 to be OK but not great, and not tried 540 as yet. The 70 quid for a kilo I might not use puts me off!
Ovenpaa

Re: Viht powder

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I started off with Vectan, moved to Viht (N140) as I was getting early pressure signs with the Vectan, it turned out it was the primers I was using and a shift to CCI and all was good, until N140 suddenly all but disappeared off the market some 3-4 years ago. So I moved to N540 and after some load development all was good. Since then I have stuck with N140/540/550/560 depending on cartridge and bullet weight.

Christel however swears by H4831SC and will not use anything else. Having said that she empties all of her new canisters of powder into a large ceramic bowl, mixes them thoroughly and then returns them to the canisters again. I have emptied a tub of N540 dated 2010, reached for another and it was dated 2007. I still used the same load and did not see any difference what so ever.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Gun Pimp

#3 Post by Gun Pimp »

Mr Logic,

It's horses for courses - I usually look to use Vit as it's cheaper per pound than Hodgdon or Reloader powders and, in my experience, supplies are more reliable.

Example - Varget was almost unobtianable a couple of years ago - damned annoying if you've got a good load sorted.

Hannam's Reloading do the straight (140, 150 etc) Vits in one pound tubs if you prefer.

Cheers
Vince
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Its all about availability in my case in the area were I live every body stocks Vitavouri powders but trying to get hold of any thing else is difficult.
I tried to buy Vectan powder from a well known supplier but all my efforts fell on stoney ground so I give trying.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Apparently the Vectan distribution model is changing, it is going to be available from shops that sell shotguns (Something to do with whoever imports it) Also it is going to go up a lot in price which is not good news. I use SP9 in my 7,72x51 NATO load and find it accurate with the advantage that I can throw it with a Harrall precision so I can churn the stuff out, I even have a Lee press permanently set up with a die for seating the bullets to 2.800"
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chapuis

#6 Post by Chapuis »

That's both good and bad news then ovenpaa. Vectan make some great powders and I for one will be most happy that they will be more readily available but I'm not so happy a about the rise in price.
I particulary like TU2000 for my .222rem and I also like SP7 for the 8x57.

I'm not sure if Lyavale still import the powder, they used to for use in their shotgun cartridges, but they were never interested in distributing the powder. Only Peter Lawman distributed the powder to my knowledge but he wasn't always available or simply didn't answer enquiries.
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I see Peter is still advertising Vectan but is is now GBP75.90/Kg that is virtually Viht list prices and vectan has always been a good 15-20% cheaper than Viht. A telling sign.

I am about to try the new TR140 however I suspect that prices for it will also go up fairly quickly, the UK distribution channel in general is renown for selling at the maximum they believe the market will tolerate regardless of product.
/d

Shed Journal
Sim G

#8 Post by Sim G »

ovenpaa wrote: the UK distribution channel in general is renown for selling at the maximum they believe the market will tolerate regardless of product.

That's a fact! I have used Hodgdon powders almost exclusively for 20 years. That's about to change. Not because Hodgdon has affected my results, but, my local shop now has the new stuff from Edgar Brothers at 46 quid a tub!!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G

#9 Post by Sim G »

A quick look at US retail prices for Hodgdon....... around 22 dollars per tub!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sandgroper
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by Sandgroper »

Sim G wrote:
ovenpaa wrote: the UK distribution channel in general is renown for selling at the maximum they believe the market will tolerate regardless of product.

That's a fact! I have used Hodgdon powders almost exclusively for 20 years. That's about to change. Not because Hodgdon has affected my results, but, my local shop now has the new stuff from Edgar Brothers at 46 quid a tub!!!!
**** :cool2: ****

Looks like I'll be changing powder and working up new loads as well! :cry:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.