What should the NRA Armoury sell?

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
ColinR
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK), FDPC, NRA Member, Bisley

Re: What should the NRA Armoury sell?

#81 Post by ColinR »

artiglio wrote:A thought that springs to mind , reading the comments on food and travelling.

Is there a legal/constitutional reason for the cessation of shooting for lunch or is it a tradition that has carried on? Would there be a demand for another range hire period for example 10am - 3pm, which would give those with longer journeys a more civilised day out.

In an ideal world it would be handy to be able to book targets and markers in hour multiples to suit. I can see that this may be problematic with regards to markers( though surely not insurmountable)but provision of electronic targets would negate this ( the target pricing sheet on the NRA website shows electronic targets as still being unavailable, is there any likely return for them?)

I realise that this would not be possible on Stickledown, because of access to the butts for markers, but is there any reason it could not be done on century and Siberia?

Cheers phil
Good thought.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#82 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am lucky enough to have dined at some of the finest eateries around the world, from Nouvelle cuisine in Zurich to foie gras and sea bass in the kitchen of a mountain farmhouse above Mondragon, I have even been served Sushi by Russian mobsters however I still maintain a good honest meal does not have to cost the earth and Jennys provides neither good honest food nor good value for money in my opinion.

The original discussion was about a decent coffee in the morning and a donut, I would suggest this would fill the spot for the majority of early morning shooters, as has been suggested, they can always find a club house. The OSM serves some cracking food for around a fiver a head as an example.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#83 Post by Gaz »

artiglio wrote:Is there a legal/constitutional reason for the cessation of shooting for lunch or is it a tradition that has carried on? Would there be a demand for another range hire period for example 10am - 3pm, which would give those with longer journeys a more civilised day out.
Safety. Markers can't go to and from the butts on Stickledown unless Century and Short Siberia are stopped. IIRC the danger template from both ranges overlaps Stickledown butts. I have a feeling there's an overlap issue with the Army ranges at Pirbright next door, but I'm not too certain.

I can see why the NRA only offer half-day blocks unless you're a member. More money for them, which (hopefully) means more money to invest, rather than to p*** all over the walls in weird and wonderful ways as seems to have happened in the past.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
karen

#84 Post by karen »

Gaz wrote:
I can see why the NRA only offer half-day blocks unless you're a member. More money for them, which (hopefully) means more money to invest, rather than to p*** all over the walls in weird and wonderful ways as seems to have happened in the past.
Um don't understand - all bookings are in half day slots but clubs and members can just book a morning slot then an afternoon slot. Members don't get anything different so not sure what you mean.

As for decent food - have recently eaten in the Clays, the North, the Surrey and the OSM and they all do cheap excellent food so if someone thinks that a decent meal costs £20+ then they are being ripped off somewhere.

And there is nothing wrong with a Jennys bacon and egg bap when you have a hangover :shock:

Also try the Veggie van during the Imperial or Open Days (and other events) - veggie burgers, haloumi and falafel wraps are just incredible (and I'm not a vegetarian). And they sell home made brownies and flapjacks and decent coffee. Maybe we should get him to set up permanently.

Love

Karen
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#85 Post by HeatherW762 »

ColinR wrote:
artiglio wrote:A thought that springs to mind , reading the comments on food and travelling.

Is there a legal/constitutional reason for the cessation of shooting for lunch or is it a tradition that has carried on? Would there be a demand for another range hire period for example 10am - 3pm, which would give those with longer journeys a more civilised day out.

In an ideal world it would be handy to be able to book targets and markers in hour multiples to suit. I can see that this may be problematic with regards to markers( though surely not insurmountable)but provision of electronic targets would negate this ( the target pricing sheet on the NRA website shows electronic targets as still being unavailable, is there any likely return for them?)

I realise that this would not be possible on Stickledown, because of access to the butts for markers, but is there any reason it could not be done on century and Siberia?

Cheers phil
It's not a legal/constitutional thing, it's a sefty thing. It would be possible on certain lanes on Century but not Short Siberia or Melville/Cheylesmore as their danger areas go across the end of the road. The problem would be when other people see some people shooting across lunch & decide they can do it as well, without checking! However I have sowed the seed of the idea & the range office will look at it, although it would only be out of the main season.

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
ColinR
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK), FDPC, NRA Member, Bisley

#86 Post by ColinR »

karen wrote:
Gaz wrote:
As for decent food - have recently eaten in the Clays, the North, the Surrey and the OSM and they all do cheap excellent food so if someone thinks that a decent meal costs £20+ then they are being ripped off somewhere.
Love

Karen
There is food other than eggs, bacon, donuts, burgers et al which does unfortunately cost more and in a more comfortable environment , but I have no wish to eat that sort of food or pay that price at Bisley. We tend to eat at the Clays cafe and really I have no grouse either with the quality of the food or the price. It's all I want or would expect from a shooting ground, so I feel some who have posted here are more than a little disingenuous.