9mm Lever Release

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

majordisorder

Re: 9mm Lever Release

#61 Post by majordisorder »

I've been reading this thread with interest as I'm (was) poised to buy either the SGC LRA9 or the LA-30, is this trouble typical of all SGC guns or specific to the LRA 9? Teething problems of a new model?

Anyone got any good experiences with the LA-30?
Black Rifle - Firearms, Ammunition, Vortex Optics, MDT Chassis, AR-15 accessories and "go-faster" bits for your Smith and GSG 1911
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#62 Post by the running man »

The best way to shoot a sgc 9mm lever release is to sell it and buy a marlin..........these things are absolutely nothing but trouble at a high cost to boot,I know 8 people with them and nobodys is happy with them.........I've heard sgc are using glock mags now in an effort to solve feed probs,these things should have came in after the pistol ban,perhaps then by sgc standards by now they would have ironed out the kinks...........besides I can shoot my marlin faster than a 9mm lr.......... So what the hell is the point?
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
NoEntry
Home club or Range: Phoenix Shooters Association. Grange Rifle and Pistol Club. Jersey Pistol Club

#63 Post by NoEntry »

the running man wrote:The best way to shoot a sgc 9mm lever release is to sell it and buy a marlin..........these things are absolutely nothing but trouble at a high cost to boot,I know 8 people with them and nobodys is happy with them.........I've heard sgc are using glock mags now in an effort to solve feed probs,these things should have came in after the pistol ban,perhaps then by sgc standards by now they would have ironed out the kinks...........besides I can shoot my marlin faster than a 9mm lr.......... So what the hell is the point?
You now know of 9 people with SGC 9mm lever release guns and one is perfectly happy with his, ME.

Since getting mine I have sold my Marlins.

I guess you pays your money and you makes your choice.

Mike
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#64 Post by M99 »

NoEntry wrote:
the running man wrote:The best way to shoot a sgc 9mm lever release is to sell it and buy a marlin..........these things are absolutely nothing but trouble at a high cost to boot,I know 8 people with them and nobodys is happy with them.........I've heard sgc are using glock mags now in an effort to solve feed probs,these things should have came in after the pistol ban,perhaps then by sgc standards by now they would have ironed out the kinks...........besides I can shoot my marlin faster than a 9mm lr.......... So what the hell is the point?
You now know of 9 people with SGC 9mm lever release guns and one is perfectly happy with his, ME.

Since getting mine I have sold my Marlins.

I guess you pays your money and you makes your choice.

Mike
Mike

I have an empty 9mm slot and was about to buy one - but with the bad reports, Ive put it on hold.

How often do you shoot yours?
Have you had any of the issues mentioned? or others?
What do you feed it?
There is one at our club and as far as I am aware he has had zero issues with his

Mike
NoEntry
Home club or Range: Phoenix Shooters Association. Grange Rifle and Pistol Club. Jersey Pistol Club

#65 Post by NoEntry »

Hi Mike,

My gun is Now 2yrs old, it was one of first to be relased after the S5 fiasco. So I cant comment on the newer models.
I shoot it as much as possible, usually in my clubs Gallery rifle comps on Fridays.
Like any other blowback gun it occasionally, very occasionally, misfeeds, usually when I have been too bone idle to clean it.
I use homeloads in mine, 125grn FMJ bullets, cheapo Privvy primers, any old assorted cases and 5grns of Universal.
Shoots around 1" at 25yds offhand.
When I bought it I got 3x modified Uzi mags from Bob. Since then I have bought a couple of cheapo 25rnd mags which work just as well. Ideally I would like to try some 10rnd 9mm ArR mags.
I use a 1.5 power Red dot sight.

AFAIK there are only two minor faults.

1. The trigger is very ' military'
2. With scope mounted the gun is heavier than a Marlin, however when the cadence of firing and depressing the release lever is mastered, I find it much quicker than a Marlin.

Bring on the rumoured 45acp version.

Mike
the running man

#66 Post by the running man »

Mike I think it great that u are so pleased with yours we must have you stuffed and mounted somewhere! .................I think they are ok just so bloody troublesome, a .45 acp version is something that would intrest me,but only if the kinks were well and truly gone...............p.s. Pm me and we shall have a speed race to prove you wrong on firing the lr faster than the marlin,I ro at all graw events............
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
phaedra1106

#67 Post by phaedra1106 »

I've got a 9mm, a Marlin and a Henry both in .44. Based on my 9mm continuing to feed,

Fun to shoot - 9mm, Henry, Marlin

Pleasure to shoot - Henry, 9mm, Marlin

Build quality - Henry, Marlin (older models), 9mm

If I had to sell 2 which would I keep - Henry

Buying New - Henry, 9mm, Marlin (as current production models are terrible)

It's horses for courses and your mileage may vary as they say :)
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#68 Post by bnz41 »

We also have one of the early ones (after the Sec5 troubles) it's fed a mixture of makes of factory ammo and has never missed a beat, once young David at SGC sorted out the Uzi mag feed problem. It seems the feed problems are now with the newer models, so maybe Glock mags was not the way to go..
Sim G

#69 Post by Sim G »

SGC actually cast their own lower receivers, do the not? Or at least have them cast in the UK. Two magazine systems which were utterly reliable in the weapons originally designed for, causing problems in another weapon designed by one bloke.........

More chance of Bob walking past a table of pies than admitting he got something wrong and would willingly put it right........ allegedly, so has been said, nothing proven, hearsay.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
the running man

#70 Post by the running man »

Table of pies... :lol: I can't stop laughing!