Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1

Re: Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

#41 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes of course why don't you go out and buy a brand new car and lock it up in your garage just in case the busses or trains stop running.
Ovenpaa

#42 Post by Ovenpaa »

SevenSixTwo wrote:Does it wear out after only two rounds? ;)
Of course not, the Lee Classic loader dies will probably go on for ever and return reasonable accuracy. 20 years ago 1.5 minutes at 100 yards was quite acceptable and it is only quite recently that sub MOA rifles became more talked about. One of the .308 shooters in our club is very happy to hit the black at 1000 yards (We shoot 600m targets) He does not aspire to any more than this and has huge fun doing it. I think 'Body Centre Mass' is the term he uses. Equally I can think of shooters at the same distance who are throwing huge amounts of money, time and effort to effectively shoot slightly tighter groups and yes, some do shoot very well however others are not significantly better than the chap who shoots 'Body centre mass'

If you are going to shoot out to 600 I suspect the Lee die set will probably return quite handy results, a bit of fine tuning and 9-12" groups or better are going to be possible, this is sub 2MOA at 600, something I could only dream of with my .303

I am not sure I would want to build 100 rounds every weekend using the process however for the occasional handful they are more than adequate. Remember the 30-06 shooter I mentioned? He loads 10 rounds at a time and uses them on Deer and apparently has used the same dies, cases and process for the last 20 years and he certainly can knock them down OK with the rifle.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
SevenSixTwo

#43 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Many thanks for your positive answer. As I've hinted elsewhere here, I'm not all that interested in mm perfect accuracy; so just need a 'plan' should supplies run dry and re-use the occasional amount of brass. I'll consider either the Lee Classic or an el-cheapo bench set. Apologies if that offends some of the nerds among us. ;)
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
Alpha1

#44 Post by Alpha1 »

You can reload perfectly good ammunition with a lee loader I use them my self with a arbor press for my military calibre rifles you will also need a good set of scales to check your powder charge. I have just acquired a set in .357 to have a play with.
Bullseye

#45 Post by Bullseye »

I like the "Whack-a-mole" kits Lee reloader! The only other thing you need a rubber hammer & ammo components! Its Ideal for about £30 or so. but this won't make match ammo etc its make cheap bang range ammo! Even you can use at the club.

Reloading is a other world and other fantastic hobby! If you wish to make match ammo, buy a bench reloading press. a good single stage one is fine. I would recommend finding an old timer that reloads to help you.

But it seems reloading is getting more common, There is always one member who reloads etc. mainly full-bore reloads!!! like 303. the more bigger rounds with costs to buy!!! but the smaller sizes like .223 etc are too climbing in price.

Many SGC holders too reload, but smaller compared to FAC. price of carts have gone up! with the fear of lead bans etc it could force others to use steel. but with prices etc people are turning to reloading!
SevenSixTwo

#46 Post by SevenSixTwo »

I've read that a full length resize is recommended for auto-loaders (even straight pulls) so I'll probably go for a bench set plus Pacesetter dies.

The Lee Loader only neck sizes.
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#47 Post by Steve E »

SevenSixTwo wrote:@Mattnall

Just two rifles which accept both.

I should really have asked whether I can use a 308 die on a 7.62 cartridge (and .223 on a 5.56)?

I don't see mil spec dies so I'm guessing it's ok?
There are no such thing as Mil Spec dies. For 7.62x51 you use .308Win dies and for 5.56 you use .223Rem dies.
SevenSixTwo

#48 Post by SevenSixTwo »

SevenSixTwo wrote:I've read that a full length resize is recommended for auto-loaders (even straight pulls)...
Re-visiting this; is it vital to FL resize once-fired (from new) brass in a straight pull AR-15/10 platform? Can you get away with it once or twice before having to FL resize?

Both my rifles have Wylde chambers, if that makes a difference?
Ovenpaa

#49 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would suggest full length sizing at every reload on an AR15 type rifle however it is down to the individual load and rifle. Best thing you can do is shoot a handful load them after neck sizing and see if they chamber and extract OK.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
SevenSixTwo

#50 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Ok, thanks.