Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

#101 Post by bradaz11 »

JWR wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:19 pm How do people go about reloading multiple calibres? I am going to be reloading .44 mag and probably .357 mag too, but long term I would also like to get into longer range stuff and will want to reload .223 and .308. Is there a way I can buy one set-up now that with some basic readjusting and new dies will work for the rifle calibres too?
buy a press, then buy the corresponding dies to what you need. just about any press out there will do any caliber short of big boy stuff like 50 bmg.

a lee turret will load 308 as easily as 38.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#102 Post by Alpha1 »

You just need to buy a good single station press and a beam scale you can add dies in different calibers as you go.
JWR
Home club or Range: 1066 Rifle & Pistol Club

#103 Post by JWR »

Another probably stupid question. Are only primers and powder purchases restricted to people with a current FAC? I would like to start collecting old brass from the range, de-primer, and clean it up ready for reloading. I’m assuming I can buy reloading equipment without any problems?
Alpha1

#104 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes you can buy re loading equipment press, dies, bullets, cases etc. You need a certificate to purchase Powder and primers.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#105 Post by shoppe »

I would not start collecting old cases from a range. If they are guaranteed factory ammunition, once fired, then that's OK. If you can't guarantee this, leave them for some other brass monkey.They would HAVE to be full sized as the first stage for reloading to ensure they fit in your firearm.
You do not know what that case has been subjected during its life.
Starting with new cases is your safest way to start your reloading journey.
Alpha1

#106 Post by Alpha1 »

If you are new to reloading dont go any were near picked up cases from a range or any were else for that matter. As above new cases are the safest way to start your re loading journey.
JWR
Home club or Range: 1066 Rifle & Pistol Club

#107 Post by JWR »

Cool, ill only keep and reload the brass I have fired from new ammunition.
So, wet tumbling media, what size and type do I need? I got a cheap pack of stainless rod stuff but its way too small and awful to use. Is there any benefit to using one type of media over another?
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#108 Post by Dark Skies »

shoppe wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:12 pm I would not start collecting old cases from a range. If they are guaranteed factory ammunition, once fired, then that's OK. If you can't guarantee this, leave them for some other brass monkey.They would HAVE to be full sized as the first stage for reloading to ensure they fit in your firearm.
You do not know what that case has been subjected during its life.
Starting with new cases is your safest way to start your reloading journey.
There's always an exception to this. The amount of once-fired brass and their store packaging dumped in bins at the range always astounds me.
I've zero shame and have plunged eagerly into dustbins and hauled out a fair few hundred quids' worth over the years.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Alpha1

#109 Post by Alpha1 »

Me to.
What shocks me is the amount of once fired .38 Special Brass that newbies chuck in the bin. I keep telling them keep it some were down the line you are going to want to start re loading .38 special. I have given up recovering it I have cuboards bursting at the seems with the stuff.
.303 is another one. After probationers shoots over lots of years I had that many cases that I resorted to crushing them and weighing them in for scrap. That is my current method of disposing of them. I have that many there is no way I will ever re load them.
crismaqsood
Home club or Range: NRA

#110 Post by crismaqsood »

I've never encountered that... I wish I could find a few dustbins to dive in 🥴

All the probationers in my club are required to store the spent ammo in the boxes (my guess is the owner/manager keeps them for himself) 😁😁😁😁