Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1

Re: Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

#31 Post by Alpha1 »

No don't rush out and buy Lee gear because its cheap. Most of it is rubbish.
phaedra1106

#32 Post by phaedra1106 »

Alpha1 wrote:No don't rush out and buy Lee gear because its cheap. Most of it is rubbish.
Have to completely disagree, nothing wrong with Lee gear.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#33 Post by Mattnall »

SevenSixTwo wrote:Is the LEE 50TH ANNIVERSARY KIT worth a punt for starters?

I'm confused as to which die sets I'll need though. I'll be using both 5.56/.223 and 7.62/.308 ammo so will there be an issue with the neck sizes/sizing?
Are these 4 different rifles? If not, and you're just reloading (eg) commercial .223 and mil 5.56 for the same rifle just load them the same. Check the case volume, neck tension and signs of pressure on the test batch, but unless you're near the end of the loading envelope that shouldn't be a problem.

I load all my standard .223 ammo (Winchester, LC, RG and a few other case makes) to the same spec. It still regularly places and wins comps from a variety of rifles. I don't try to push them too hot, I've even backed off the loading by half a grain in the last couple of years, checked zero and everything is still sweet.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Ovenpaa

#34 Post by Ovenpaa »

Mattnall makes a very valid point, faster is not necessarily better, my McQueen load was a very sedate load with low 40s grains N140 and some 168 Scenars and it was superb. I also dropped my 1000 yard Accuracy load by .5 grains and shot better for it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
SevenSixTwo

#35 Post by SevenSixTwo »

@Mattnall

Just two rifles which accept both.

I should really have asked whether I can use a 308 die on a 7.62 cartridge (and .223 on a 5.56)?

I don't see mil spec dies so I'm guessing it's ok?
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
SevenSixTwo

#36 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Does anyone use and get along fine with the Lee Classic Loader? I want to minimise my reloading outlay because I'm only getting the equipment in order to reload for a 'rainy day' i.e. if supplies ever run dry...
Ovenpaa

#37 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Lee Classic Loader is great for building the occasional round or two and is about as low tech as it gets. I know someone who loads 30-06 with one and gets very acceptable results at 300 yards.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
SevenSixTwo

#38 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Does it wear out after only two rounds? ;)
Alpha1

#39 Post by Alpha1 »

Does anyone use and get along fine with the Lee Classic Loader? I want to minimise my reloading outlay because I'm only getting the equipment in order to reload for a 'rainy day' i.e. if supplies ever run dry...
If that is the case then my advice to you is to not waste your money forget about reloading. Reloading is a hobby in itself and can be a huge drain on finances. Buying a set of Lee classic loaders in case supplies of ammunition dries up makes no sense what so ever.

In my humble opinion the lee classic re loaders are one of there better products. I have recently purchased quite a few second hand sets in various calibers. I have modified them to use with a Sinclair arbor press. I have three new machined bases and several mandrels as the ones that come with the sets are to long to use with the arbor press. Lee stuff can be usefull but it needs a bit of fettling as Adam would say.
The new Lee cast presses are Ok but the other models are rubbish in my opinion. I started off reloading with Lee stuff many years ago, It was Ok I would class it as cheap and cheer full. If folks are happy with lee kit good luck to them. I do use some of there stuff like dies for pistol calibers the new priming tool that is a total pain in the arse. But I prefer LeWilson stuff and the like my self. Oh and of course it depends on the funds you have available to spend on the hobby.
SevenSixTwo

#40 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Alpha1 wrote:
Buying a set of Lee classic loaders in case supplies of ammunition dries up makes no sense what so ever.
Can you expand on this statement?