FAC Questions

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

Re: FAC Questions

#221 Post by lovemunkey187 »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:06 am I see posting it should be OK. Personally I just can not be doing with filling forms in etc in this day and age. I do everything electronically. My Licencing office didn't ask for a letter from my GP they did that for me as part of the renewal. Well I assume they did. I got one phone call from them with a query and if I remember rightly the whole thing took less than two weeks.
During the two weeks where my form was with my GP the FAC form was updated at the beginning of December(according to the header now form 201 2021) to include the medical questionnaire in the middle, rather than as a separate thing.
I did fill in all of the details electronically to avoid the pain for some poor soul to try to decipher my chicken scratch writing.
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#222 Post by Alpha1 »

lovemunkey187 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:05 am
Alpha1 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:06 am I see posting it should be OK. Personally I just can not be doing with filling forms in etc in this day and age. I do everything electronically. My Licencing office didn't ask for a letter from my GP they did that for me as part of the renewal. Well I assume they did. I got one phone call from them with a query and if I remember rightly the whole thing took less than two weeks.
During the two weeks where my form was with my GP the FAC form was updated at the beginning of December(according to the header now form 201 2021) to include the medical questionnaire in the middle, rather than as a separate thing.
I did fill in all of the details electronically to avoid the pain for some poor soul to try to decipher my chicken scratch writing.
Sounds like you have it sorted good luck with your application. :good:
lovemunkey187

#223 Post by lovemunkey187 »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:57 pm Sounds like you have it sorted good luck with your application. :good:
Thank you
lovemunkey187

#224 Post by lovemunkey187 »

My FAC (finally) arrived yesterday lollol

But upon reviewing it I saw a couple of things that have made me wonder if I may incur hassles when I buy things.
On the authorised list it says;
.22_______Pistol_______LONG BARREL
.22RF_____Rifle
And on the ammunition list;
.22________200
.22RF______1200
.357 S&W Mag/.38 Special______200
Is .22RF just the FAC catchall term, to include all .22's regardless of them being LR/WMR/etc? I was expecting to see .22LR written on my certificate, which is why I am querying that.
For the .357 S&W Mag/.38 Special ammunition, does that mean I can only have a combined total of 200, or am I allowed 200 of each?
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#225 Post by bradaz11 »

lovemunkey187 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:34 pm My FAC (finally) arrived yesterday lollol

But upon reviewing it I saw a couple of things that have made me wonder if I may incur hassles when I buy things.
On the authorised list it says;
.22_______Pistol_______LONG BARREL
.22RF_____Rifle
And on the ammunition list;
.22________200
.22RF______1200
.357 S&W Mag/.38 Special______200
Is .22RF just the FAC catchall term, to include all .22's regardless of them being LR/WMR/etc? I was expecting to see .22LR written on my certificate, which is why I am querying that.
For the .357 S&W Mag/.38 Special ammunition, does that mean I can only have a combined total of 200, or am I allowed 200 of each?
what did you want for the pistol? lr or mag? if you wanted lr, mention it, it shouldn't affect anything really. if you wanted mag, def question it as it will need spelling out. as for the ammo, 22rf is everything 22 rim fire, 22 lr would only be that ammo. so try and have it left as rf.
357/38spl, 200 total, not of each, but you can have 200 38 and 0 357, or 100 of each, or 50 38 - 150 357 etc
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#226 Post by Mattnall »

Any .22 pistol should be fine to buy unless you get a real PITA dealer who doesn't understand. In practice you'll only really get 22LR pistols in semi-auto and maybe something else in a revolver or single shot.

Your .22 rifle can only be rimfire, so WMR, LR, Short, Long, or a combination of these. Again as long as the dealer knows their stuff.

I have found dealers that won't sell 22WMR on a 22RF slot (even though the rifle purchased on the .22RF slot is a WMR and marked on the FAC as such) because WMR is not RF!
Apparently to some .22RF is only .22LR and all the other .22RF aren't actually RF. wtf

As far as .22 ammo goes you can have up to 1400 x 22LR (or RF), and it won't be an issue unless you try to buy more than 1200 at once (and then only if the dealer doesn't understand again).
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
lovemunkey187

#227 Post by lovemunkey187 »

bradaz11 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:49 pm what did you want for the pistol? lr or mag? if you wanted lr, mention it, it shouldn't affect anything really. if you wanted mag, def question it as it will need spelling out. as for the ammo, 22rf is everything 22 rim fire, 22 lr would only be that ammo. so try and have it left as rf.
357/38spl, 200 total, not of each, but you can have 200 38 and 0 357, or 100 of each, or 50 38 - 150 357 etc
Mattnall wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:10 pm Any .22 pistol should be fine to buy unless you get a real PITA dealer who doesn't understand. In practice you'll only really get 22LR pistols in semi-auto and maybe something else in a revolver or single shot.

Your .22 rifle can only be rimfire, so WMR, LR, Short, Long, or a combination of these. Again as long as the dealer knows their stuff.

I have found dealers that won't sell 22WMR on a 22RF slot (even though the rifle purchased on the .22RF slot is a WMR and marked on the FAC as such) because WMR is not RF!
Apparently to some .22RF is only .22LR and all the other .22RF aren't actually RF. wtf

As far as .22 ammo goes you can have up to 1400 x 22LR (or RF), and it won't be an issue unless you try to buy more than 1200 at once (and then only if the dealer doesn't understand again).
Thank you for the replies.

I was looking at something like a GSG Firefly or (if funds permit) a KMR LR S-01.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#228 Post by Pippin89 »

Looks very much like whoever did your certificate had as much knowledge of firearms as my cat!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#229 Post by bradaz11 »

Pippin89 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:37 pm Looks very much like whoever did your certificate had as much knowledge of firearms as my cat!
he already said his FEO did it, so I thought that was implied?? :run:
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
moriraaca
Home club or Range: NRA

#230 Post by moriraaca »

Hello everyone,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but from what I've seen it's been used as a general thread for newbie FAC questions, so I'll add my to the list. Sorry if this is a wrong place, I'll hapily repost it as a new topic.

I'm planning to apply for an FAC soon, and while this forum has been a treasure trove for a lot of my questions, I still have a few left. A couple of them:

- I understand I need a "good reason" to own a firearm, and shooting sports are just that. I was wondering, do I actually need to compete for things to be considered a "sport", or not? I plan to shoot a lot with my club(s) but I don't really want to compete right now.
- If I need to ask for a variation on my FAC, I understand I'll need to send it to my police force for them to make adjustments, because it's a paper document. The problem is, without FAC I can't do a lot of things if I understand it correctly (buy ammo, buy/sell rifles, etc), and from what I hear variations can take very long (months). Does it mean I'm blocked from all things I need FAC for for the period when I'm applying for a variation? For example, if the variation takes months, and I run out of ammo, it's a tough luck and I won't be able to buy more?

Thanks in advance for all the help.