FAC Questions

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Plecotus
Home club or Range: Monmmouth & District Rifle Club, NRA, Chepstow Rifle Club

Re: FAC Questions

#201 Post by Plecotus »

I asked for 1,500 .22 on my initial grant a year ago in Gloucestershire and had no problems. That said, I am a member of several clubs and I do shoot a lot.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#202 Post by Mattnall »

CraigH wrote:.

I will be applying same time as my Son and we will be sharing cabinet, I know that this means we will need to list each others firearms as we will both have access to each others firearms
You don't have to list (ie have slots for) each other's firearms, and this is unlikely to happen initially anyway as there is no guarantee you won't each just fill up slots - for instance if you both want one .22rf so they issue both FACs with 2 x 22rf (to cover your one and your son's one) what is to stop you going and buying two rifles and then your son doing the same?

You can get each FAC conditioned to allow the holder "access to all firearms held on FAC number xxxxxx ". This would be the better option if you can convince your FEO to go this route.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#203 Post by Mattnall »

Here's the condition from my FAC;
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

#204 Post by CraigH »

Mattnall wrote:Here's the condition from my FAC;
Thanks for the info!
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#205 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi all...
Newbie question regarding moderators... I assume its not normal to need one for .22LR for target shooting. But is it worth putting it on my FAC application anyway as a "just in case" thing? I'm still doing my 6 month probation at my club so I'm a way off applying. I just like being prepared.
Also any experience of applying for an FAC in West Sussex would be appreciated.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#206 Post by Plumose »

It is worth putting on moderators for everything, as even if you don't want a mod for that firearm it gives you a slot on your certificate that you can later do a free one for one swap on.

I am regretting not putting down a moderator for my .22 target rifle as it means that I will have to pay for a variation next time I have a a need for a new toy
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#207 Post by Pippin89 »

Plumose wrote:It is worth putting on moderators for everything, as even if you don't want a mod for that firearm it gives you a slot on your certificate that you can later do a free one for one swap on.

I am regretting not putting down a moderator for my .22 target rifle as it means that I will have to pay for a variation next time I have a a need for a new toy
Ah good idea. So I would then be doing a 1 for 1 instead of a new slot??
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#208 Post by Plumose »

Correct
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
etonwick
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#209 Post by etonwick »

Hi All, there hasn't been much activity on this subject for a couple of years and I'm sure FAC rules and regs must have changed. I've just been made a full NRA club member, having done their probationary training courses (which were excellent). I'd like to get my FAC application underway as soon as possible and I'd welcome any advice from forum members. I'm interested in .22 LR (bolt), .308 (bolt) and .38/.357 (lever) for outdoor target shooting. Any other calibres that might be sensible to add initially? I plan to keep my first gun (probably a .22 LR) at the NRA armoury as it saves all the hassle of upgrading my shotgun cabinet (half-height) - is that a sensible idea? I thought I'd hire an NRA gun if I wanted to shoot further in the short term and change my licence to keep at home a bit later. Again, does that sound reasonable. Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers

etonwick

"A buck in books saves a grand in stupid!" - Mark Novak, Gunsmith.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#210 Post by Pete »

I'd get a Brattonsound MT-9 cabinet installed at home, (buy once, cry once...), and apply for the three rifles you've mentioned.........if you're anything like 99% of everyone else who takes up shooting, you WILL end up with more guns..... ;)

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....