What weight for a hunting rifle?

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Ovenpaa

What weight for a hunting rifle?

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

One for those of you with hunting rifles. What do they weigh including the sling and 'scope if you use one.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: What weight for a hunting rifle?

#2 Post by dromia »

Depends on the calibre.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Full Bore, .243 to .303 ish
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#4 Post by M99 »

My Remi with a scope (.308) - No bipod, but leather sling weighs just under 9.5lbs - with a wildcat Mod.

Mike
Scotsgun

#5 Post by Scotsgun »

Depends upon where being used and what you're hunting.

Heavier rifles are more pleasant and easier to shoot, especially if shooting some of the more recoil prone calibres (270, 30-06, etc). However you'll feel every extra pound if carrying that rifle in the hills, stalking reds.

My Kimber Montana in 270 with Kahles scope is barely 7lbs in total and is my rifle of choice if climbing some real hills.
My Tikka M65 in 25-06 with Swarovski Habicht scope and moderator weighs a wee bit over 9lb and is perfect for woodland stalking.

Generally i avoid weight unless using the rifle to cull where i'll need to make rapid, repeated shots. I rarely carry a bipod in favour of a small set of sticks which can be used seated or kneeling and stear clear of heavy bull barrels. Unless hunting rabbits, its rare to shoot more than twice at a time (assuming dropping 2 deers), so a normal sporting barrel is fine.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Our S&L 6,5-284 weighs 5kgs without the sling and although it keeps the recoil down it is still quite a lump. I have certainly handled lighter hunting rifles.
/d

Shed Journal