Benchrest and F Class gun handling

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa

Re: Benchrest and F Class gun handling

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

How about setting up a camera and filming yourself shooting? Side on so you can see the whole of the rifle plus at least your shoulders and trigger hand. Any modern digital camera should be able to do this. I was shooting at a comp earlier this year and an RCO commented that I seemed to tense up just before taking the shot, he said I only did it a couple of times but it set me thinking.

At least with film you can analyse not only the rifle movement but also your own. I have a bit of film my son shot of me with the AI repeater and it was interesting to watch myself and the way I handled the rifle.

You can also film in detail your rifle fore end and then yourself.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
woody_rod

#12 Post by woody_rod »

ovenpaa wrote:How about setting up a camera and filming yourself shooting? Side on so you can see the whole of the rifle plus at least your shoulders and trigger hand. Any modern digital camera should be able to do this. I was shooting at a comp earlier this year and an RCO commented that I seemed to tense up just before taking the shot, he said I only did it a couple of times but it set me thinking.

At least with film you can analyse not only the rifle movement but also your own. I have a bit of film my son shot of me with the AI repeater and it was interesting to watch myself and the way I handled the rifle.

You can also film in detail your rifle fore end and then yourself.
Filming is a very good idea. We have a video camera and tripods etc, so may be able to do something like that.
woody_rod

#13 Post by woody_rod »

Just having another thought about my head position. I did use another stock for a while, a locally made aluminium unit, which I removed the cheekpiece on and left off while I was using it. I had a much better head position, and seemed to have a better outcome. I have a bandsaw, so can "adjust" the cheekpiece and get it away from my face as much as possible.

When shooting these days, I spend more time looking over or around the rifle at flags and mirage (and at times through a spotting scope beside the scoped rifle), and less time in the process of actually releasing the shot. I wonder if I am not getting some incidental shots from this. The video might shine some light on it.
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

Having just spent a happy half hour in the workshop with an angle grinder I can relate to a bandsaw for making adjustments. My 7mm has quite a low cheek piece which means I am not placing any pressure on it, as the rifle is fully supported cheek weld is less of a factor. Minimal/light contact all round seems to work best for me (It did seem odd at first being 'gentle' with a rifle)

I find it very easy to fall into the trap of concentrating on everything other than what I am actually doing. My wife will often remind me to get my breathing under control when I am concentrating on something. A video to analyse with is a good way forward and will give you an idea of your shooting style as much as the other factors. Get a couple of other people to look at it as well, a second opinion is always handy. Ask Actionclear what she thinks but be warned, wives who shoot can be less than supportive, especially when they are on a roll when shooting. The sound of a woman humming to herself at the next firing point is quite off putting :roll:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
woody_rod

#15 Post by woody_rod »

ovenpaa wrote:Having just spent a happy half hour in the workshop with an angle grinder I can relate to a bandsaw for making adjustments. My 7mm has quite a low cheek piece which means I am not placing any pressure on it, as the rifle is fully supported cheek weld is less of a factor. Minimal/light contact all round seems to work best for me (It did seem odd at first being 'gentle' with a rifle)

I find it very easy to fall into the trap of concentrating on everything other than what I am actually doing. My wife will often remind me to get my breathing under control when I am concentrating on something. A video to analyse with is a good way forward and will give you an idea of your shooting style as much as the other factors. Get a couple of other people to look at it as well, a second opinion is always handy. Ask Actionclear what she thinks but be warned, wives who shoot can be less than supportive, especially when they are on a roll when shooting. The sound of a woman humming to herself at the next firing point is quite off putting :roll:
She just complains that her scorer never speaks loud enough to hear. Now when I score, I make sure to call the 4's the loudest....it is only fair :D :D

I will now look at my release of shot as being part of the problem, and look for evidence of this. I have made the comment to people informally that I had pulled a shot. Most people will think that such a thing can never happen when shooting from a rest, but this is of course entirely possible.
Dangermouse

#16 Post by Dangermouse »

Get yourself a springer air rifle, it will teach you the basics all over again and will be much cheaper to practise with than a full bore.
No need to spend any real money on it, the more basic the better!

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
The Gun Pimp

#17 Post by The Gun Pimp »

OK - I'll chip in......

Set-up is everything - in a benchrest rifle and an F Class Open rifle - which attempts to emulate the near-perfect set-up of the bench shooter.

Front bag - not too hard otherwise it can induce vertical. Many shooters pack their front bag too hard.

Rear bag - always fill the ears first and then the main bag. If you are a 'bag-squeezer' you won't want the back-bag too full. If you shoot with a joystick rest then you will want it as solid as you can get it and filled with heavy sand - Zircon or Chromite (UK shooters see www.johnwinter.co.uk).

Rear bag ears - these will guide the rifle on recoil - they need to be firm to do this BUT, the rifle must 'settle' into the ears.

Finally - all F Class shooters complain about vertical but 1000 yard BR shooters know that 'vertical' just happens - occasionally. If it's happening a lot, set-up is the likely cause.

Remember, only you can disturb the rifle- don't cuddle it, don't put your cheek on the stock and use the lightest trigger you can get away with. Benchrest shooters don't use a 2oz trigger just because they can!
woody_rod

#18 Post by woody_rod »

The Gun Pimp wrote:OK - I'll chip in......

Set-up is everything - in a benchrest rifle and an F Class Open rifle - which attempts to emulate the near-perfect set-up of the bench shooter.

Front bag - not too hard otherwise it can induce vertical. Many shooters pack their front bag too hard.

Rear bag - always fill the ears first and then the main bag. If you are a 'bag-squeezer' you won't want the back-bag too full. If you shoot with a joystick rest then you will want it as solid as you can get it and filled with heavy sand - Zircon or Chromite (UK shooters see http://www.johnwinter.co.uk).

Rear bag ears - these will guide the rifle on recoil - they need to be firm to do this BUT, the rifle must 'settle' into the ears.

Finally - all F Class shooters complain about vertical but 1000 yard BR shooters know that 'vertical' just happens - occasionally. If it's happening a lot, set-up is the likely cause.

Remember, only you can disturb the rifle- don't cuddle it, don't put your cheek on the stock and use the lightest trigger you can get away with. Benchrest shooters don't use a 2oz trigger just because they can!
Thanks mate. Taking each point in turn:

Our front bag is quite hard, I think it is heavy sand also. Is sand the only option?

I have now refilled the rear bag, it was quite saggy. My wife and I use different bags, hers is too low for me, mine has the steel plate and rubber mat glued to the bottom, making it about 1 1/4" taller. It would be better if it were another 1" taller yet to fit with the front rest height better.

On setup and cheek pressure, I have now recut my cheekpiece again to make it a lot lower.

Now have to make the scope levels for both our rifles and we should be better off.
Actionclear

#19 Post by Actionclear »

Front bag is filled with granite power, and if you touch it, I will break your fingers. :x

I don't get elevation shots like you do. The only different piece of equipment you use is your rear bag.
The Gun Pimp

#20 Post by The Gun Pimp »

At the moment, we are fairly 'casual' on F Class rules in the UK and few checks are made outside of rifle weight.

Benchrest by contrast is quite strict on bags - the front one must be easily 'deformable' - if the RO sticks his finger in it! Bags also must contain 'sand' - though what the definition of sand is, I don't know - probably a 'naturally occuring granular material'.

Cheers
Vince